Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

99 sebring jxi won't start

Old 05-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Default 99 sebring jxi won't start

Hi everyone, this is my first post so i will try to be as detailed as possible. I recently bought a 99 sebring jxi convertible with the 2.5l 6 cylinder engine. When i was driving home i noticed it smelled like it was running very rich but it ran well so i thought nothing of it. after a few short drives it began having issue where it would stall out if i came to a stop and would be very difficult to restart. it is now at a point where it will not start at all. I am trying to trace the problem and am running out of ideas so I am hoping someone here can help me. So far I have replaced nearly everything due to the poor upkeep that was done by the previous owner. It has a new fuel filter and fuel pump, It has a new crank position senser, new MAF, new throttle position sensor, new pcv valve, new alternator, new battery, new plugs and plug wires, and new fuel injectors, and a new alternator. the distributor has not been replaced but it was tested and all 6 plugs do spark and in the correct timing. I have checked the compression and checked for vacuum leaks and both came up good. I also checked the cam timing and it was perfectly lined up with the timing marks. I think that covers everything I've fixed and inspected so i really hope someone can shed some light on this because i'm about outa funds and patients for this car

Old 05-28-2018, 01:43 PM

I apologize for the double post but i couldn't find an edit option, I should aso mention i replaced the air filter, cleaned the throttle body thoroughly, and changed the oil.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:56 PM

Well with all you have just replaced and still it won't start, does not leave a lot to offer. One of the problems with doing "plug and play" verses proper diagnostics. Codes can be retrieved from these with a code scanner, but what concerns me is that you say it smelled of running rich before it completely died. could have plugged up cat. converters.
Will it fire on a shot of ether (starting fluid) down the air intake? If so you are not getting fuel to start/run normally.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:04 PM

I'm not sure how to test if the cat is clogged, when it was running it had plenty of airflow coming from the exhaust though. I did check it with an odb scanner when it first failed to start and no codes came up. I havent tried the ether in the intake trick but i did check the pressure in the fuel rail and it was 48 psi after i put in the new pump and filter

Old 05-28-2018, 03:24 PM

OK, BUT there is also the electrically actuated fuel injectors to figure if they are spraying, hence the starting fluid trick. are you sure you have spark? Also the ASD relay on the firewall can go bad and not allow fuel injectors/ spark from happening. IF you have spark and you supply the fuel(starting fluid) it should run until that is used up. So from you info...something is not right in adding up to being able to run.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:32 PM

I have not checked to make sure the injectors are spraying and its possible one of the new ones i put in is defective so i will test that when i get home and ill spray some ther just in case, i tested each plug by pulling it and grounding it to the frame and they all have a strong spark. I will test those things after work and post an update when im done, fingers crossed she fires up. thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:36 PM

Also double check the plus wires for proper position in the dist cap! When you crank the starter does the motor seem to "buck" while cranking and not spin smoothly?

Old 05-28-2018, 03:40 PM

I'l double check the wires, this car has been such I headache I may have hooked them back up wrong during one of my more frustrated moments. When I crank it theirs no bucking or anything like that.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:24 PM

I KNOW that they are rather hard to work on, as I have a 98 model of the Dodge brother 2.5 AVENGER. Thankfully at 110k miles it has been VERY dependable and NO troubles such as you encounter.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:26 PM

This one has been used and abused, it' at 115k miles and has had zero maintenane done before I bought it. It still even had the factory air filter in it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 sebring jxi won't start