Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Batt light and its charging fine. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Smb
Default Batt light and its charging fine. Help!

My wifes 2006 sebring touring 2.7l sfi with 100k on it has it's batt light on. Shut it off and start it again its off but comes back on soon after.
The batt and alt are a couple years old. Eng off ive got 12.5+v at the jump post, running 14.2 ad with every accessory on at idle will drop to 12.4. Live stream obd2 reads similar, 12.9v.
Its parked outside and i live in the woods so critter in the wires? Inspected as best i can and found no chaffing or bare or loose wires.
Cable from alt to jump post has a good ohmm reading.
On startup the engine seems to have a hum to it, but goes away.
No CEL or codes stored, just the batt indicator on the dash.
Readings are all the same whether the hum is there light on or not.

I'm lost as to where to go from here. Any common issues that might cause this??
Thanks

Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Never heard of anyone complaining about that particular problem here. That light is called the charging system warning light. It's controlled by the body computer, probably acting on information received from the engine computer. If the thing is bugging you excessively, find a shop with a DRB III code reader. Your personal code reader isn't going to be able to get deep enough into the computer(s) to find out what's going on. A Chrysler dealer will have the necessary equipment but they will charge you like $100 to hook it up and read it. If the problem turns out to be a defect in a computer, you're looking at maybe a grand or more in repairs at the dealer. There may be cheaper alternatives elsewhere.
Disconnecting the battery at the negative jump post MIGHT reset the computers and fix the problem, if that's where it is. It's cheap and easy and won't hurt anything. Leave the battery disconnected for several minutes. That will discharge the whole system.