Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Bent flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 01:50 PM
Default Bent flexplate

While putting the transmission back into my 2008 Sebring, it got hung up on the flex plate and bent the edge of it as seen in the photo. What’s your experience in managing something like this? Is the flex plate toast or can I take it off and bend it back into shape?

Old 02-26-2022, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

considering the part that's bent is where the crank sensor counts the pulses i would not chance it unless you just enjoy taking the transmission or engine out for fun.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
considering the part that's bent is where the crank sensor counts the pulses i would not chance it unless you just enjoy taking the transmission or engine out for fun.
Hahaha….not particularly. I discovered that being in Western Canada, it appears the part is made of unobtainium…..the part is only available from dealers here….and it’s 10days to two weeks to get it. The usual online sellers who ship across the border don’t stock it. Might have to check the local pick n’ pull…….

Old 02-27-2022, 01:36 PM

The crank position sensor rides in the space between the 2 solid edges and uses the metal 'bars' and open spaces for pulses. As a 'bar' passes the cps it will pulse. The length of the open space is used to determine the position of the flexplate/engine.

Since the cps does not ride over the bent edge. it may be possible to carefully bend/hammer it back to the original arc and not interfere with the cps. There should be no need to touch the inner edge or any of the pulse bars.

My opinion only. And yes, I would bend back if this were my vehicle.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ggoose
The crank position sensor rides in the space between the 2 solid edges and uses the metal 'bars' and open spaces for pulses. As a 'bar' passes the cps it will pulse. The length of the open space is used to determine the position of the flexplate/engine.

Since the cps does not ride over the bent edge. it may be possible to carefully bend/hammer it back to the original arc and not interfere with the cps. There should be no need to touch the inner edge or any of the pulse bars.

My opinion only. And yes, I would bend back if this were my vehicle.
X2 I would also tap it out and use it.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting the new part. I didn’t want to risk any out of round vibration and any possible damage to other components.