Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Can anyone assist with a timing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Default Can anyone assist with a timing issue?

I have the 2.7L that is loved by all, the bearing on the water pump recently went out allowing the chain to jump time. I have it all apart, but my question is how do you ensure the cam positions are correct? I've lined all of the marks with all of the dots exactly as it is supposed to be but when you turn the crankshaft by hand a piston hits the valves. I've also tried to do the TDC method of piston 1, but when that piston is max TDC the mark on the crankshaft is not aligned with the mark on the oil pump... Someone please help.

I just need to know how the two camshafts should be positioned to prevent valve damage, and to get the car to run again.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

buy a service manual it will have pictures

Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 AM

I have the service manual, which explains how to align all of the marks, but it does not explain how to adjust for lost time. It explains TDC should be correct when the cam sprockets are 90 degrees from the valve cover, but that is not true TDC when the crankshaft mark is aligned with the oil pan mark.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by R-dub25
I have the service manual, which explains how to align all of the marks, but it does not explain how to adjust for lost time. It explains TDC should be correct when the cam sprockets are 90 degrees from the valve cover, but that is not true TDC when the crankshaft mark is aligned with the oil pan mark.
The point of the marks is not TDC. They are deliberately positioned so that you are NOT at TDC so the cams can fall back when you take the cam sprockets loose. The cams have to be brought back to sprockets with a turning tool (3/8 ratchet and an extension)

Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM

I don't think I'm making my issue clear.

I understand the positioning, what I'm saying is when the cam sprocket mark on the right side is in line with the two color links, the crankshaft mark is in line with the single color link AND the arrow on the oil pump, and the left cam is in line with the single chain link... When all three of those are aligned I CANNOT crank the engine one full revolution. Before I aligned these markings I ensured the two dots of the cams were at 90 degrees from the valve covers.

The valves are not timed correctly so I need to adjust the cams, I know how to do this but I don't know how to ensure the timing is correct. I've been told that 360 degree or one rotation of the cam is equivalent to intake or exhaust then another 360 is the opposite, ie if I rotate one full turn valves open for intake, another rotation valves open for exhaust. So if it is incorrect the cam just needs to be turned a full 360, as you cannot put the sprocket on at 180 since the bolts are offset to ensure proper reinstalling. Is this correct?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

if u did it right then u would not hit the valves go back and re do it put number one at tdc then move the crank to align it to the oil pump and crank alignment the #1 will go down just a little then make sure the cams are aligned up top then put the gears on see what U have then

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Turns out I had it correct all along, but when the bearing went out on the water pump the timing chain allowed it to bend a valve (or all 24) I guess I'll find out. Thanks for the help though.