Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Can Traction Control be Added?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Unhappy Can Traction Control be Added?

I just purchased a 2008 Sebring Hard Top Convertible Limited thinking it had all of the options. When I got it home, I noticed that it does not have Electronic Stability Program (ESP). I made a bad assumption that all high end vehicles had some sort of Traction Control.

I will be doing a lot of driving on hills & curves and in the rain & snow...

1.) Is it possible to still have Traction Control if I don't have ESP?
2.) Can I somehow find out if my Sebring has Traction Control?
3.) If I do not have Traction Control, can it be added to a vehicle?
4.) If so, would the cost be reasonable?
5.) Is it worth the investment?

Thank you for your expertise!
I'm worrying myself sick over this and very mad at myself that after doing so much research, I still overlooked something so vital and made poor assumptions. Ugh...

Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

1 no
2 need vin for that info
3 no
4 real high
5 no

esp is simply another way to stop people dieing that do stupid things to make the car crash.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

ABS
The purpose of the Antilock Brake System (ABS) is to prevent wheel lockup under braking conditions on virtually any type of road surface. Antilock braking is desirable because a vehicle that is stopped without locking the wheels retains directional stability and some steering capability. This allows the driver to retain greater control of the vehicle during braking.

ALL-SPEED TRACTION CONTROL
The traction control system (TCS) is an all-speed traction control. All-Speed Traction Control enhances mobility and prevents wheel slip when accelerating on slippery surfaces. It also provides a measure of directional stability control. Using the wheel-speed sensors, it can detect excessive yaw and help keep the car on the intended course, as for instance, when accelerating around a curve.

With rear-wheel drive, All-Speed Traction Control is effective up to 85 mph (137 km/h); with AWD, All-Speed Traction Control is effective up to 45 mph (72 km/h), which is common among competitive AWD vehicles with traction control.

ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM
The Electronic Stability Program (ESP) enhances control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESP corrects for over/under steering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the over/under steer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path. ESP uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the vehicle path intended by the driver and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, ESP applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition.

Oversteer - When the vehicle is turning more that appropriate for the steering wheel position.
Understeer - When the vehicle is turning less than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
The "ESP/TCS" indicator light located in the instrument cluster starts to flash as soon as the tires lose traction and the ESP system becomes active. The "ESP/TCS" indicator light also flashes when TCS is active.

The ESP can be turned off by using the ESP Off switch. When the ESP Off switch is depressed, it does not completely turn the system off. The ESP system shuts off engine management but retains brake activations for yaw control.

The SRT8 equipped vehicles have three-mode ESP functionality. When the ESP Off switch is depressed and quickly released, the system enters "partial" mode which has no engine management but retains brake activations for yaw control. If the switch is held down for a period of five seconds or longer before releasing, a chime will sound and the ESP system enters "full-off" mode which disables engine management as well as brake activations. The system can be returned to “normal” by briefly pressing and releasing the ESP Off switch. The system will default to full-on mode at the beginning of each ignition cycle.

BRAKE ASSIST SYSTEM
The Brake Assist System (BAS) is designed to optimize the vehicle's braking capability during emergency braking maneuvers. The system detects an emergency braking situation by sensing the rate and amount of brake application and then applies optimum pressure to the brakes. This can help reduce braking distances. The BAS complements the antilock brake system (ABS). Applying the brakes very quickly results in the best BAS assistance.

ELECTRONIC VARIABLE BRAKE PROPORTIONING
Electronic Variable Brake Proportioning (EVBP) is used to balance front-to-rear braking in place of a traditional rear proportioning valve. The EVBP system uses the ABS system to control the slip of the rear wheels in partial braking range. The braking force of the rear wheels is controlled electronically by using the inlet and outlet valves located in the integrated control unit (ICU).

EVBP activation is invisible to the customer since there is no pump motor noise or brake pedal feedback.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM
Default Vin

Thank you for the answers!...They're not what I was hoping for...but live & lear, I guess.
My VIN is: 1C3LC65M68N302818
I would greatly appreciate knowing what my vehicle is equipped with.
I should have asked before I signed the papers!
Thank you again...and for whatever you can provide regarding equipment.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:55 AM

Go to the dealer and they can print you out your options list. No, I don't see traction control on there. BTW, it's not a good idea to post your VIN on the internet. If I was a crazy wierdo, I could get your home address from it. Maybe even cut a key from the key codes and take your car.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-31-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Cool Crazy wierdos

Originally Posted by TNtech
Go to the dealer and they can print you out your options list. No, I don't see traction control on there. BTW, it's not a good idea to post your VIN on the internet. If I was a crazy wierdo, I could get your home address from it. Maybe even cut a key from the key codes and take your car.
On the other hand, anybody who walks by the car can grab the VIN through the windshield.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

send me an email I can give it to ya via PDF send your last name and miles on teh car as well