Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

can't keep our 98 sebring running!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Default can't keep our 98 sebring running!

We have a 98 sebring (V6). The car has a rough time running. When you start the car the idle revs up and then the rpms drop and the car stalls. Eventually after doing this 3-4 times it will run.

now yesterday, my brother in law had the car idleing for a bit (around 10 minutes) and then all of a sudden the car stalled!

Today I tried to start the car and it turned over and over and over, but will not start! We checked the spark plug wires and there is no spark & the engine smells flooded.

Any Ideas?[:@]

Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Default RE: can't keep our 98 sebring running!

one thing it can be is the black connector that connects on the throtlle body,,,You know the partwhere the throttle cable attaches.. on the side there is a connector (NOT the throllte position sensor) i would not mess with that one my understaning it needs to be pre-loaded when installed..
( and by the way the throttle position sensor could possibly beyour issue ),,,

But 1st i would look at theconnector i refered to above, it plugs in going up and it's a little hard to get to.
it is what basically makes your engine run faster when cold and helps keep it running when you put it in drive or the a/c turns on.....It MAY be part of the problem....

HOWEVER i had this part go badand my car 2.6 v6 engine. Itstarted hard & would not idle COld unless i was reving the engineusing the gas pedal to keep it runningabove 1000 or more RPM's,, once it warmed up the engine ran fine and would idle fine ,and it would always re-start, but shut down if you let off the foot pedal only when cold.
Good luck

Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM

The battery is dead now...tried wiggling the black connector a bit before it really died, hoping that it would have started.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 PM

Remove the spark plugs and clean them or replace them, and charge the battery. Also ck for any codes too. But only after you charge the battery and cleanning the plugs.