Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Car Won't Start! Pt 2.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 10:23 PM
Default Car Won't Start! Pt 2.

I posted yesterday about my 2010 Chrysler Sebring shutting off and only driving/turning on with a jumper box attached.
Yesterday the car lights, radio, etc. were still working, the engine just wouldn't turn over on it's on.

A close family member (unbeknownst to me) continued trying to jump my car and then said it now wouldn't turn on at all. Got a new battery put in today (after having the old tested and determining it was bad) and the car still won't turn on. No lights or anything. He's now saying it's the alternator.

Here's my questions:
Could the alternator have blown from him jumping the bad battery?
What could be the reason why the car was coming on before and now isn't even with the new battery?
Could this possibly be something to do with an anti-theft lock or the computer system?

If you have any idea, even a guess or suggestion, please let me know. I don't want to blow any more money on this.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:17 PM

A bad alternator won't prevent the car from starting or running. If the battery is fully charged, the car will start and run just fine with no alternator at all. However, without a functioning alternator, the battery will eventually run down. The purpose of the alternator is to charge the battery. Could it be something with the anti-theft system or the computer? Yes, it could be. It could also be any number of other things.

The place to begin diagnosing the car's problems is by hooking up a proper diagnostic tool to the car and to search for fault codes in the computer. Most electrical problems will set a fault code in the computer that can be read by the code reader. Then you can begin the repair process. There are something like 50,000 parts in a car and hundreds of them are involved in starting the car. There's no point in guessing at this time what it might be when there are tools that can be used to access information stored in the computer that will guide a competent technician toward where the problem lies.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
A bad alternator won't prevent the car from starting or running. If the battery is fully charged, the car will start and run just fine with no alternator at all. However, without a functioning alternator, the battery will eventually run down. The purpose of the alternator is to charge the battery. Could it be something with the anti-theft system or the computer? Yes, it could be. It could also be any number of other things.

The place to begin diagnosing the car's problems is by hooking up a proper diagnostic tool to the car and to search for fault codes in the computer. Most electrical problems will set a fault code in the computer that can be read by the code reader. Then you can begin the repair process. There are something like 50,000 parts in a car and hundreds of them are involved in starting the car. There's no point in guessing at this time what it might be when there are tools that can be used to access information stored in the computer that will guide a competent technician toward where the problem lies.
Thanks. I don’t know anything about cars. I realize that’s it’s better to just get it to the dealership and see what’s wrong rather than keep wasting time and money on what I think may be wrong