Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Car wont start, searched already.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Default Car wont start, searched already.

Ok Im new to the site, I searched a little but didnt find anything. My fiance has an 02 convertible. We were having battery issues about a month ago but I was always able to jump the car and it would be ok. The other day she came home parked, and then didnt touch the car for a day or so. Went out to start it and it wouldnt do anything, the lock/unlock buttons worked, and the dash lights came on. Thought it was the battery so I put a new one in and it was still doing the same thing. The fuel pump wasnt priming and everything seemed to power up besides the clock/radio and the wipers. I checked the fuses under the hood and the starter/fuel fuse which is 20amps was blown. Replaced it and turned the key back to the on position and it blew another one. I replaced that and I swapped all of the relays around that are by the fuses, the fuel, starter and the EATX relay. Now it isnt blowing any fuses but its just making a loud clicking noise when I try to start and that is all Im getting. After I let go of the key there is a humming noise coming from under the hood too. Ive never had to deal with this car or any chrysler in the past so Im not sure if this is common.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Could be that your fuel pump relay is bad AND you have a short in the starter circuit. You said that at one point, the fuel pump "wasn't priming", then you switched the relays around.
Maybe the blown fuse problem went away if you put the bad relay in that circuit.
Make sure your relays are all good, then if the blown fuse problem returns, you'll need to track down that separately.
BTW, there are fuses inside the car as well. Check those for the radio problem. Under the dash, driver's side near the door.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:15 PM

When I started out this morning the lock unlock buttons worked, and the cluster lit up, headlights worked and so did the tail lights. Things not working were the radio, the clock, and the wipers. When I would turn the key to start the car it was dead silence and there was no noise at all. No fuel pump priming or any clicking of the battery. That was when I noticed that the fuse was blown under the hood for the fuel/starter and I replace that and when I turned the key after that everything worked in the car including the radio and the clock. When I attempted to start the car the fuse blew again. So that was when I swapped around the relays and then the fuse stopped blowing and the car just makes a loud obnoxious clicking noise. So when she gets home with my car Im going to hopefully pick up 1-2 relays to see if that helps out. Because I dont feel like spending anymore time out there on the car.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 AM

Did you get the problem resolved and if so, what was it?