Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

clip on hydraulic tensioner for timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Default clip on hydraulic tensioner for timing chain

I am replacing the water pump on my Sebring 2.7L. When I removed the hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain I noticed that the small wire clip at the top of the tensioner was not on, it was laying in the cover for the tensioned. When I tried to put it back on it easily broke in half.

I don't really see a purpose for this clip.

My question is: Is it needed?

I don't want to replace the tensioner if it is not needed.

Thanks for any advice

Jim

Old 01-09-2015, 10:26 PM

Might be there to hold the tensioner back during assembly. If that's the case, it would not have any use once the tensioner is pressurized. Guessing here.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the input,

I was thinking the same that is was just for assembly. It may hold the tensioner in place after the block is assembled but before the heads and timing chain are installed, My best guess also.

Just wanted another opinion, and we seem to have come to the same conclusion. I think I will run with what I have.

I really like the 2.7, but I do not think much of its cooling system. That is the downfall of this engine, but with that said I know what I got and understand the weak points. Getting ready to roll over 200,000, without any trace of the reported sludge problem

Jim

Last edited by jimG; 01-10-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Default missing/broken tensioner clip

Originally Posted by jimG
I am replacing the water pump on my Sebring 2.7L. When I removed the hydraulic tensioner for the timing chain I noticed that the small wire clip at the top of the tensioner was not on, it was laying in the cover for the tensioned. When I tried to put it back on it easily broke in half.

I don't really see a purpose for this clip.

My question is: Is it needed?

I don't want to replace the tensioner if it is not needed.

Thanks for any advice

Jim

I know this is a very old thread but since I just had the same problem, after pulling it apart I found the previous mechanic just left along with the tensioner o-ring completely out, it dawned on me the clip is there to limit the amount of extension the tensioner can exert against the guide to a reasonable amount. Without it, the tension would just keep in working its way down its bore until it might even fall into the block! (Not likely but perhaps it's possible. Either way the chain and/or guides should be changed long before such a thing might happen and this is built such that you should be forewarned by a little chain slap before such an event by the clip holding the tensioner back).

I just went to my hardware store and bought a $.70 "C" clip which I'm sure will do the trick