Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Crankshaft Dampner Pulley Balancer Removal part number?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Question Crankshaft Dampner Pulley Balancer Removal part number?

I searched under all various terms, no luck...

I bought a 3 jaw Taiwanese puller from Napa, the thing is a joke, more so the problem is the fender obstructing half of the pulley surface area which is restricting my ability to grasp the top of the opening of the pulley. Also the 3 jaw rig I bought, the bolt isn't the right size for the hole.

So what part number, preferrably from a local auto store since I need this off tomorrow, are you guys using to remove the pulley that the belts run on (harmonic balancer)

I have the 2.4L 2002 Sebring Convert.

Sucks that I had to stop at this point in the project

I really don't think I have enough room to pry and dont want to tear it up. also on the lubricant are yall spraying that inside the hole where the original bolt was or behind the pulley along the timing belt cover and back of pulley?

THANKS

Again sorry but the search didnt show this question previously and the haynes manual shows a photo of a car WITHOUT the fender in the way.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 PM

The puller is special tool 8454, used with special tool 6827-A insert.

Now for the bad news. You have to remove the front and rear engine mount through bolts and lower the engine using a jack.

If you can lower the engine, your Japanese puller might work. If you can't lower the engine, even the Chrysler special tool won't work.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The puller is special tool 8454, used with special tool 6827-A insert.
Thanks, I spent most of yesterday rummaging through AutoParts stores looking for something that would work. Finally in Autozone (Texas has these) I found the part that you reference above, it is made by a totally different company. OEM is the company it is part # 27139. I attached photos. They lent it to me for FREE so tonight I get back to work on the project.

Also after researching your special parts above I found another possible option. See the link below:

Special Tool 8454 : http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.co...il.aspx?id=529

Special Tool 6827A : http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.co...il.aspx?id=203

Special Tool 1026 : http://www.millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=2

Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft Dampner Pulley Balancer Removal part number?-balancer-001.jpg   Crankshaft Dampner Pulley Balancer Removal part number?-balancer-002.jpg   Crankshaft Dampner Pulley Balancer Removal part number?-balancer-003.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Default Update

In the kit with the steel rod extensions, on my 2.4L the longest extension was not long enough to engage the puller to the balancer and completely remove it, you cannot "couple" the two lengths of steel rod and get the puller onto the balancer either.

Once I had the balancer 80 pulled off, I had to place the long rod into the hole all the way and then use the cheapy 3 jaw puller from the local autostore to screw onto the metal rod.

In essence I had to use a various configuration of the two pullers mentioned in this thread to get the balancer off.