Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Electrical problem when trying to start engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:40 PM
TJ
Default Electrical problem when trying to start engine

Background: I am working on an electrical problem on a 1997 Sebring JX convertible with the 2.5L V6 engine, and hoping that someone can give me an idea on what might be wrong. I purchased this car in July, 2007 with 116K miles. After replacing the idler pulley for the serpentine belt, it has been running flawlessly until recently.

The current problem: Occasionally, when trying to start the engine, Fuse # 8 in the underhood fuse block will blow. This is a 20 amp fuse. The description for this fuse in the manual is "Run/Start, Run/ACC, and Start Ignition Switch Feed, Starter Solenoid, Fuel Pump". When the ignition key is in the ACC and Run position, the instrument cluster lights up and everything is fine. Based upon this, I think that I can rule out any devices/circuits which become live when the key is in the ACC and Run position including the fuel pump. As soon as the ignition key is turned to the start position, I hear a click under the hood, the instrument cluster goes dead, fuse # 8 blows and there is no noise at all from the starter.

The first time this happened was about a month ago, I disconnected the radio (which I had replaced a few days before), replaced the fuse once I determined which one had blown, and the car started. I replaced the radio later that day and didn't have any more problems for about a month. FYI, I removed the radio because that was the last thing I worked on, so I thought that was the most likely source of trouble. However, I can't see any possibility of a short with the radio wiring.

The second time this happened was last night. I replaced fuse # 8, tried to start the car, and the fuse blew again as soon as I turned the key to the Start position. I then removed the radio (because this is what I had done the previous time), replaced the fuse, and the car started.

The third time this happened was this morning. I hadn't replaced the radio yet, so I think that this is a false clue. I replaced fuse # 8, tried to start the car, and the fuse blew. I replaced it again, tried to start the car, and the fuse blew. Took the dash apart to look for some sign of a short, checked the wiring under the hood, checked the wiring by the starter and everything looked fine. I replaced the fuse, tried to start the car and it started. Tried starting it a few more time, and it started each time with no problems. I put the dashboard back together, reinstalled the radio, tried again, and it started.

At this point I'm thinking it must be a short in the starter solenoid or the ignition switch because the fuse only blows when trying to start the car. There could also be a problem with a wire shorting out somewhere. But the fact that the problem comes and goes without ever touching any of the wiring makes me think that this is not the case.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to give all of the background information that I had. Any suggestions or ideas on what the cause might be or what else I should check? Thanks for your help.

Bill.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Electrical problem when trying to start engine

Time for a new starter. The solenoid coil or the starter brushes (or today's equivalent) have developed an internal short. If you want to confirm it, pull the starter and take it to a parts house for testing. But the starter has to have just shorted your fuse out to show bad. I've run into several people that have chased this specific problem for a while and finished it by starter replacement.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Possible cig lighter base,fuel pump,starter,horn any of the relays and any wiring on thoes circuits.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1033/F7ED5024C64148CEAA508DD6D5C1597B.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1033/A03675C2D6A1437AA89745CFF8FA95D8.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1033/8A99CAC1EFDE4503A014114743F86040.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 PM
TJ

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I picked up a new starter and put it in yesterday morning. So far it is working great, and the engine cranks faster than it did with the old starter. If it turns out that the starter was not the problem and the problem reappears, I'll post up again with a follow-up.

Bill