Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Engine swap problems

Old 04-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Default Engine swap problems

I recently bought a 2002 sebring sedan with a bad 2.7 in it. I replaced it with a 2.7 out of an 04. I took the complete engine, wiring harness, accesories and all and bolted it in.

The car starts runs and drives great, until it warms up. I am assuming the trouble is when it goes into closed loop and starts running off the sensors. It starts surging, and has an erratic idle, then it dies. Sometimes it starts right back up, sometimes I have to let it cool down before it will start.

I read in a thread somewhere that it was the new fuel injectors causing the problems so I put the old fuel rails and injectors back in and it wouldn't even start. There are no codes unless the car dies and I start it immediately and let it die a couple of times, then I get a p0175 and p0172, both codes for being rich.

Everything looked like a perfect fit during the swap, but obviously something isn't jiving. Anybody got any ideas?

Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

did u use your egr valve or the one off the new engine?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Thank you for the quick response.

I did not change the egr. The one from the 04 is in the car now.

Do I need to swap it with the original one?

Why would the newer one cause problems?

Where is it exactly? My Haynes manual is very vague about the egr location.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 AM

I went and looked for the egr and can't find it. I couldn't find it on the engine on my garage floor, or on the engine in the car. I obviously don't know what I'm looking for. I assumed the egr from the new engine is in the car because I don't specifically remember swapping it, or reinstalling it. Now I'm baffled because I can't even find it. Looks like I need even more help than I thought.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Default Update

Well, it looks like most of my problems were related to a bad ground. The connection under the ground post on the inner fender was loose. Tightening up that fixed almost all my problems.

The car seemed to run fine until after an hour drive the MIL comes on. It was running rich, so I swapped out the injectors again and now the car runs great...

until I have been driving for a while, maybe 45minutes to an hour, then the car will stutter and jerk rapidly when trying to accelerate from a stop light. After I get going above 15 mph it runs smooth. This only happens after I have been driving for a long period of time. My daily commute is only 10-15minutes and it runs fine, but if I go on a longer trip, this car acts bonkers. The thing goes nuts but doesn't throw a code. Any Ideas?