Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2006 Sebring Limited Parking Drum Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 05:06 PM
Default 2006 Sebring Limited Parking Drum Brakes

Hey i have an 06 Sebring Limited, i am trying to replace the parking brake shoes, i got all new shoes and hardware, but can't for the life of me figure out how it all goes back together, ive been at it for litterally several weeks now, at one pt i got it all together so i thought, but only one shoe would move at a time. i think mistake has something to do with the placement of the acuator lever, maybe? i cant get it in any position that makes sense, i assume it should not be THIS hard. Can anyone offer any advice and/or resources?? Id great appreciate it!!!

Old 12-28-2020, 08:49 AM

Here's a tip for the future: Don't disassemble both sides at the same time. Finish one side before touching the other side so you can use the untouched side as a guide for putting it back together. Assuming it's too late for that, invest a few bucks in a Haynes or Chilton's manual to guide you through the process. You'll find it's money well spent. They are readily available on line and you might even find one in your local auto parts store.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:53 AM
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Here's a tip for the future: Don't disassemble both sides at the same time. Finish one side before touching the other side so you can use the untouched side as a guide for putting it back together. Assuming it's too late for that, invest a few bucks in a Haynes or Chilton's manual to guide you through the process. You'll find it's money well spent. They are readily available on line and you might even find one in your local auto parts store.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, ill look into geting a manual

Old 03-15-2021, 02:40 PM
Default New Shoes longer??

Im still struggling with this. I got the Haynes manual which i understand completely and can easy follow step by step, but it's as if theres no enough room here for all these peices to go together properly. I first bought new shoes online, from A1 Auto i believe, and when i compare them to the old ones, the new ones are just a little longer, by maybe a quarter inch. So i eventually figured that must be the problem, they sent me the wrong shoes. So this time i ordered them thru AutoZone, and they came exactly as the ones i bought online. Does anybody know anything about this, why would the new shoes be made 1/4in longer than the older ones?? Am i just getting the wrong ones? twice now? Could that be causing problems for me?

Old 03-15-2021, 07:44 PM

Yours isn't a coupe, is it? The coupe was a very different vehicle from the sedan/convertible. Parts for the coupe won't fit the others and vice versa. If that's not the problem the parts should work even if they don't look exactly like the old ones. Could be that somebody adjusted the parking brake to compensate for wear and it might need to be adjusted back again.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:47 PM

Yours isn't a coupe, is it? The coupe was a very different vehicle from the sedan/convertible. Parts for the coupe won't fit the others and vice versa. If that's not the problem the parts should work even if they don't look exactly like the old ones. Could be that somebody adjusted the parking brake to compensate for wear and it might need to be adjusted back again.
Nope, its a Sedan, not-convertible, im clear on that, and at this point i know how it all goes together i just cant seem to keep it the parts where theyr supposed to be, the actuator lever keeps slipping out of position or when i do get it all together it doesn't function properly, ive been adjusting the parking brake throughout the process🤔

Old 03-16-2021, 01:45 PM

You're sure the parts you got aren't intended for a coupe?

Old 03-16-2021, 02:11 PM

You're sure the parts you got aren't intended for a coupe?
Well when i bought them online i selected Sedan, and when i ordered them over the phone w AutoZone i told them 4 door, not convertible, so it would be pretty nuts if i was given a screw up twice. Im wondering if maybe the parking brake adjustment is my issue, is there a particular state at which i should have the parking brake lever when replacing the shoes?

Old 03-16-2021, 06:43 PM

Completely off. That would be down as far as possible. The cable should be a little slack, no load on it.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:06 PM
Default pics

im working on it right now. gonna post some pics and vids n see if anyone sees something wrong. i have a hard time keeping the L of the actuator lever behind that block (ill show in video) it seems its supposed to be there, one picture in the manual shows it there, and if its not behind it, its pinned between it and the back of the shoe. when i manage to get it behind there its only by the tip of the corner and it slips out if anything moves. also the entire situation is SO TIGHT i can't imagine how it could ever move and function properly
nvm it wont let me upload the vids

Quick Reply: 2006 Sebring Limited Parking Drum Brakes