Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Fouling multiple sets of plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Default Fouling multiple sets of plugs

My 96 sebring lxi has been giving me issues since the day I have gotten it. At first it was stalling for no reason and running extremely rough. So I checked the plugs. All 6 were black and soaked in fuel. After replacing plugs along with a new fuel pump and filter it started up good. After a short test drive I noticed it no longer stalling but still acting as if there was no fuel. It was also redlining at 4k rpms SOMETIMES. It would show symptoms as if It was out of fuel right with at least a half tank or more in it. Would start hard and would have to pump the pedal to keep it from stalling. After about a minute or 2 of holding rpms at 2-2.5k it would idle on it's own. Next day, no start. Removed negative on battery for 60 seconds put back on and fired right up. Ran code p0129. (5 volt reference missing from tps. Voltage lower than expected at map sensor.) made my first long drive in it and ran great on cruise at 75mph. I had a full tank of fuel when I left, when I arrived I had less than half a tank for a 50 mile trip!!! next day car would start first crank but if I touched the gas pedal rpms would drop and car would sputter and stall. Once again I removed negative for 60 seconds and started right up. Next day started, stalled would not restart. Once again, all 6 black fuel foul plugs. Replaced plugs and map sensor, nothing, reference good at 5volt on tps and map, .5 volts idle and 4 volts WOT. Fuel pump turning on, have spark, battery good, starter is new. It will act like it's going to fire but nothing. Crank sensor was replaced when i first got car due to stalling so it is not the problem. I was thinking maybe the fuel pressure regulator? Symptoms match, my best guess. Any help would be great!

Last edited by Mrbrucie22; 01-05-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 PM

The distributor in those older V-6's is a notorious problem. People have also reported problems with aftermarket distributors.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The distributor in those older V-6's is a notorious problem. People have also reported problems with aftermarket distributors.
I've had a few people tell me the distributor but the only thing that makes me think something else is that it runs just fine cruising. Like it will feel like there is no power accelerating then out of no where power is restored and would run PERFECT for just a while then go back.