Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

98 T&C #1 plug fouling and missing out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Angry 98 T&C #1 plug fouling and missing out.

1998 Chrysler Town & Country Question: Missing out, and fouling on #1 plug. Never used oil before, but has used 1 1/4 Qts. In the last 1700 miles. Pretty sure it's a ring issue, but it was running fine before. This came on suddenly during a long trip. Only missing out below 3k rpm.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:55 PM

You could have a "stuck ring" rather than a broken one. Get the piston halfway up the bore and pour in some penetrating oil through the spark plug hole and leave overnight. You shouldn't need more than a small egg-cup full. After the overnight soak, crank it with the plugs out, that should help, and blow out any penetrating oil too before replacing plugs and testing.
Won't cost much in time etc., and might save an expensive stripdown. I'd rate a 30% chance here.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 04-13-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:45 PM

Tried that as a kid on my first car many many moons ago (I mean last year). Worked great. Sold the car two year later and was still running like a top.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
You could have a "stuck ring" rather than a broken one. Get the piston halfway up the bore and pour in some penetrating oil through the spark plug hole and leave overnight. You shouldn't need more than a small egg-cup full. After the overnight soak, crank it with the plugs out, that should help, and blow out any penetrating oil too before replacing plugs and testing.
Won't cost much in time etc., and might save an expensive stripdown. I'd rate a 30% chance here.

Leedsman.
Thanks for the advice Leedsman! I'll try anything to keep this thing running. It was inherited from my dad when he passed, and we've been keepin' it chuggin' on since. This is the first major issue, and I really hope this fix does it. It's too old to sink much cash into, but it still looks great(garage kept mostly, and well maintained). We just moved to Arizona which drained any savings and it's our only vehicle, so this HAS to fix it.

Wish me luck!

ScooterKat

P.S. I'll let you both know how it worked out when completed.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Tried that as a kid on my first car many many moons ago (I mean last year). Worked great. Sold the car two year later and was still running like a top.
Thanks Raptor! What kind of car was if you don't mind my asking? Had you been on a long trip before yours started acting up, or was it just normal everyday driving?

We changed the oil and air filter about 2 weeks ago, and made sure everything was working and fluids were topped off. Then we made our trip from Indiana to Phoenix. Along the way we checked fluids at every other fill up and everything was great. Except we did get a little overheated in Oklahoma, not bad, just hotter than normal. We topped of the coolant because it was low and everything was fine after.

Van made it through the mountains fine and ran like a dream until we hit Phoenix. Once we hit lower speeds(40 and below) is when we noticed it missing out and running rough.

Once I saw the fouled plug after replacing the first one my heart sank. Really hoping and praying that his hint fixes it.

Take care, and thanks again for taking time to reply.

ScooterKat

Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 PM

Hey Leedsman, I was wondering if you had any ideas other than a timing light on how to tell piston position in the cylinder? Not sure how to tell when it's halfway up without a timing light, and we don't have one on hand here. If that's the only way I'll have to borrow on, or see if the parts store has a loner.(highly doubtful)

Thanks for your help,

ScooterKat

Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 AM

If the engine is so designed, popping a thin metal rod down the plug-hole might indicate the piston half-way point as you turn the engine by hand, all plugs out. Fingers XXed. It doesn't have to be exact BTW., it should even work ok near the top or bottom (top is better because the way the cylinder wears) -- you just need enough room for the the penetrating oil.
After the overnight soak, try and work the engine back and forth a little by hand; this might help free any part which is stuck too.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 04-14-2015 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks again!