Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

getting a new 2.7 engine for my 2001 sebring

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Default getting a new 2.7 engine for my 2001 sebring

Hey guys, i bought a used 2001 sebring a couple of years ago for 3000 some $. i've always done my oil changes on time, got my fluids flushed and minor add ons here and there for cheap e.i like a battery. I bought it at 120k miles, don't drive it hard, and i've put 15k miles since ownership. It even passed state inspection at the local chrysler dealership over the summer.
Well.... maybe last week my motor died. at 135k mi i didn't hear a knock or anything. When i hit the brakes to slow down and stop, the car just shut off with the oil light on. and i couldn't restart it, would sound like teeth were grinding. Mind you, i checked the dipstick, i was topped up with oil i use regular 5w-30. So I had it towed to the dealership.. and to make the long story short, they said i've got some bent valves, maybe from the timing chain coming off because they say my water pump broke off.
I am disappointed this happened, i could have had maybe a new water pump replaced along with a new chain and maybe replaced valves... but they insisted it would be easier if i replaced it with a new motor for 4 grand, parts and labor. I've decided to do it because it comes with a Warranty of 3 years 100k mi, whichever comes first. I know it's a lot of money and you guys would be like "just junk it or whichever" but, i mean altogether maybe 8 thousand i am spending altogether for paying it and repairs. Plus i've decided to do it because, hey, it's really hard to find a used car with a warranty on it...and i'm not a heavy driver either.

I'm not ignorant that cars do need maintenance, especially older ones. But since i am getting a fresh new motor, i even asked the service manager, well how could i have prevented this? He could only tell me i ran into bad luck. I waited a day or two to decide about getting a new motor. i asked him wel,l if it's a 2001 and i am getting a new 2.7, haven't they've done revisions? He told me that in the new 2.7 i am getting, that they have done revisions such as a newer water pump, and chain and some other stuff, because i know they've used these engines in later year models after the 01 sebring and even in dodge intrepids, concorde etc.

I just wanted an experts input when i get this new motor, what mileage should i change the water pump, and i understand changing the water pump... might as well replace the timing chain too. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 PM

For future reference that is lol

Old 01-07-2012, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Teraphoma
what mileage should i change the water pump, and i understand changing the water pump... might as well replace the timing chain too. Thanks.
I'm no expert, but I believe you change the water pump when it goes bad and same thing with the timing chain. They aren't a part that are on some sort of replacement schedule like oil and filters.

Typically there are indications when one of them go bad.

With a water pump, sometimes you'll hear a slight knocking, or you'll just notice the temperature gauge read abnormally high. If the water pump is frozen, then it may pop the serpentine belt or cause it to squeal.

The timing chain being stretched or bad will be indicated by the car not starting, suddenly stopping, low torque, or sluggish response to the gas pedal.

I'm sure there are more indications, but as far as I am aware neither are parts you just replace at a certain mileage.