Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Heater core

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Default Heater core

I have a 2001 Sebring sedan 2.4L and one of the connections from the heater core to the hoses through the firewall got broken off. So I'm try to get to the heater core to replace it but I've gotten to a point where I can't figure out what else to take off to get the the HVAC housing to get it off. I've basically taken off the entire dashboard and gone down to the metal behind the dash. The Haynes manual is telling me I have to take off the metal pieces to continue but it seems that they are spot welded to the car.
Any help? I can show pictures but I'm not sure how much help they would bring except to show how much of the dash I have taken off.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 PM

The whole instrument panel must come out together with the A/C plenum. It's about a 40-odd step process in the shop manual including removal of the console, seats and everything else in there. The Haynes manual is a little sketchy. The Chrysler shop manual is a little better. You will be needing to disconnect all the heat and A/C lines and unbolt the plenum from the engine compartment (top and bottom). You will not need to break any spot welds. Remember, this thing was designed to be built in a few minutes in the assembly plant.
Once the panel and plenum are out, you must separate them from each other, then open up the plenum to get the core out.
Take lots of pix as you go and come back and post them up here in an album.