Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Heating question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 AM
Default Heating question

I have a 2001 sebring with the 2.4 dohc motor. The car was dripping coolant very slowly and I'd refill it and the heat would work. I just changed the pcm and drained and refilled the coolant to get ready for winter and after refilling it my heat doesn't work. I bleed the air from the cooling system using the bleeder valve and the coolant is full. What could cause the heat to not work. The car isn't overheating so I'm assuming it's not the water pump right?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

first of all fix where the leak is coming from
second are the heater core lines getting hot both of them hot where you cant hold into them?

Old 10-21-2017, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
first of all fix where the leak is coming from
second are the heater core lines getting hot both of them hot where you cant hold into them?
I can see no leaking anymore and the coolant level has not went down at all. There was too much coolant in the overflow so I romed some to bring it to the correct level. The heatercore lines do get hot, so I don't understand why the heat doesnt. If the have the heat set on defrost when I start the car sometimes it comes out of the vents intead of the window defrost for some reason. If I turn the control back and forth then back to defrost it comes out the defrost then like normal. Don't get it!
Any ideas???

Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

are we talking the vents r no heat which one because your talking about 2 different issues

Old 10-22-2017, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
are we talking the vents r no heat which one because your talking about 2 different issues
I'm more concerned about the heat not getting hot because if I turn the vent **** back and forth it usually returns to normal. Thought it could be related though, that's why I mentioned it.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Matt1118
I'm more concerned about the heat not getting hot because if I turn the vent **** back and forth it usually returns to normal. Thought it could be related though, that's why I mentioned it.
i figured out why I wasn't getting heat. I found a thread online on how to recalibrate the climate control system by turning the hot/cold temp *** to cold, turning the mode *** to windshield defrost, turning the fan speed *** to any speed but off and then holding the rear window defrost *** until you hear a long chime then releasing it. After doing this the system will go through a test for all the modes. The odometer will change to show the testing and show problem codes if there are any. If there's no problems it'll read AC00 and return to the odometer. Mine read trouble code AC23 wich I looked up and is the blend door actuator. The blend door actuator opens and closes a door the determines how much hot or cold air flows through your vents. When you adjust you temp *** the actuator is a electrical motor that turns this door. Mine wasn't working so the blend door was stuck on the cold setting.
I pulled the carpet back on the passenger side and you can see the actuator from underneath, kinda behind where the radio is. I could see all the mode door actuator functioning when I'd turn the mode control *** from floor to vent to defrost, this uses a similar actuator. While turning the temp *** from cold to hot I could see that the blend door actuator was not working. This actuator is held on by 3 bolts, 2 of them you can get at just by pulling the carpet back but the third you cannot. To get at the third one you'd have to literally take your whole dash and center consol apart ant this is alot of work. The actuator itself only costs about $20. I saw an online estimate for having this actuator replaced by a shop and it said $500- $700. This is almost all labor cost because it's hard to get to.
i decided to unplug the electrical connector from mine and I turned the blend door to full heat by hand, you can see what the actuator turns especially if you watch how the mode door actuator functions. Now my heat will be on full hot all the time but that's fine with me because it's getting cold out. I can still control my fan speed and the mode because that all still works. Hope this helps someone else that has a similar situation.