Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Help with aftermarket stereo install on 97

Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Question Help with aftermarket stereo install on 97

I am putting in a Sony CDX-SW200 stereo in my 1997 sebring convertible. My OEM unit cd player died, which really sucks as I still have cassettes too. There is an infinity sound system with an amp under the passenger seat. I have all that I need, harness's and such. The sony i got from my daughter and it worked great in her car. I hooked up all the wires accordingly. I am getting great radio reception and sound, but when I put in a cd, i can see it clicking off the time as if it's playing but there is no sound at all. This sony has an amp built in. I am wondering if there is an issue with the factory amplifier and this unit. I am going to try another aftermarket unit I have installed in my caravan and see if it does the same thing. Any tips? Thanks.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:34 PM

If the radio comes through the speakers then the amp is working because the only path to the speakers goes through the amplifier. Maybe there's a problem with the CD part of the Sony?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a similar problem and wondered if you ever got this figured out.

We recently purchased a 2000 Sebring with an aftermarker Sony CD player / stereo. The tuner plays fine, but if you insert a CD or use the external ipod hook-up, same thing, no sound. You can see the time on the CD ticking away, or the song on the ipod playing, but nothing out of the speakers.

Anyone?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Default just a w-a-g...

but this sounds (pun intended) like an issue specific to the SONY...
perhaps it is attempting to redirect the output of the CD thru 'external amp' connectors or somesuch?

without the manual that is the only thing I can guess...

Edit...

I just went to SONY and looked up the manual... (duh... )

Check to make sure the ATT (attenuate) isnt turned on when it does the changes from CD to radio, etc...
and/or make sure the proper input is selected (for the ipod connection) when using it...

Other than those, your guess is as good as mine!

Last edited by leeb; 10-12-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Leeb good advice. double check the input and output source

Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Default Sony's Technical Support Site Answer

Here's the answer to this old forum question:

"If there is no sound or the amplifier turns off when playing a CD, but there is sound and the amplifier is on when playing the radio, then you may have the solid blue (antenna remote lead - ANT REM) and blue striped (amplifier remote lead - AMP REM) wires connected incorrectly. Try switching these wire connections.

In vehicles designed to supply power to the amplifier through the antenna power supply, connect the solid blue antenna wire to the solid red ignition wire. In all other vehicles, connect the blue and white amplifier turn-on wire to the solid red ignition wire.

Use of the antenna remote connection to the amplifier is not recommended since a no sound issue will occur when playing a CD. "

Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mjermine
Here's the answer to this old forum question:

"If there is no sound or the amplifier turns off when playing a CD, but there is sound and the amplifier is on when playing the radio, then you may have the solid blue (antenna remote lead - ANT REM) and blue striped (amplifier remote lead - AMP REM) wires connected incorrectly. Try switching these wire connections.

In vehicles designed to supply power to the amplifier through the antenna power supply, connect the solid blue antenna wire to the solid red ignition wire. In all other vehicles, connect the blue and white amplifier turn-on wire to the solid red ignition wire.

Use of the antenna remote connection to the amplifier is not recommended since a no sound issue will occur when playing a CD. "
Yep, I would agree with this. I just installed a SONY deck in my Dakota. Don't get your blue wires confused. If you have an install/jumper harness, the wire will be blue instead of red.