Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

help, need some cylinder sebring firing help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Default help, need some cylinder sebring firing help

I got some bad news that i needed a new crankshaft oil pump and gasket set, my machanic stated. I got them all because of knocking noise when started. he then replaced it all and hooked back up my engine and when he started it cant start at all he said that it isfiring 2 cylinder and i have a total of 6 cylinder how is this possible only 2 cylinder is firing so my car cant start anymore and does anyone have the fix for this problem how to fix it so that all 6 cylinder can work again. please please help i am lost.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Default RE: help, need some cylinder sebring firing help

Have him check the condition of the flex plate between the engine and transmission. This plate can crack at the bolt holes and create a situation where it bangs around. The starter engages the edge of the flex plate in order to turn the engine over. In addition, there are notches around the edge of the flex plate that are "sensed" by the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The CPS provides the position information needed by the onboard computer for triggering the correct timing to fire the spark.

And, if he missed the original source of the knocking (the flex plate if it proves to be bad) you might want to hit him up for some consideration on what he charged you for some potentially unnecessary work. The cracking of these plates are a fairly common issue on the older cars.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Default RE: help, need some cylinder sebring firing help

If this mechanic is finished with the car and you still don't understand what is wrong, then you need a new mechanic. If you are in the middle of repairs with a reputable shop, they should finish the work and provide you with the parts they have replaced for you. Have those parts checked by another reputable shop if you have any reason to believe you have been bilked.