Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Help needed

Old 05-03-2015, 06:40 AM
Default Help needed

I posted last Sunday as my car was cutting off - well narrowed it down to the distributor (upon replacing it we saw it was cracked) so got a new distributor and tuned her up - now she is running, but idling so fast that I was coasting up a hill at 35mph - and then it got so bad that I had to use the parking brake at a stoplight to keep from plowing into the car in front of me. We replaced the egr tube gasket and she quieted down a little, but is still bad and I am scared to drive her. 1999 Sebring convertible. And when I go to cut it off it lurches as I switch to park and shudders before cutting off - after I have turned key to off - Any help is much appreciated as to what is wrong now. It has a new intake gasket also.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 AM

Check that intake gasket installation. If it got distorted while it was being installed it might be leaking. That could cause a high idle.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

used distributor or remain unit? and how did u replace it?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Default distributor in 99 sebring jxi

Okay - I talked with my brother and he asked if the battery was disconnected (therefore disabling computer) before the distributor was installed (it is a new distributor but not from Chrysler) and it was not. So yesterday we disconnected the battery and now the car is running a ton better, but it is still idling way too high when in park (around 2500rpm) and still lurches when putting in park (and shudders when stopping at lights) - and now service engine light is on - so at least now we can look at codes around lunchtime to see what is up.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

that code for the lite will prob say target idle not reached. and since u removed the intake i can tell u with 100% certainty you caused a vac leak by doing so.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:05 AM

Okay, back to square one as the car stalled again. We checked for vacumn leaks and replaced intake gasket - nothing works - so we are going to just start throwing parts at the car - first a cam sensor, next a map sensor, this is quite ridiculous - I so liked this car when I got it last year - it drove so good and I was very proud of it because I had not had a car (due to finances) in 3 years, and before that just had 4 cylinder kia, was not proud of that - oh well, think I will throw a couple parts at the car and if that doesn't work - get rid of it. I have been on Edmunds forum and this is a problem that a lot of people are having with Sebrings - apparently they are all a pos

Old 05-06-2015, 11:05 AM

Yeah, just a pos. You'd think they could build a car that wouldn't ever have anything go wrong with it for a measly 16 years.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

agreed not a POS gonna sound bad but u cant blame a car for inexperienced workers working on her.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Default pos

No, I do not think anyone can make a car that would last without problems for 16yrs - I am not stupid, but apparently it makes some people feel good to put others down. All I am saying is if the car will not throw a code then how are you supposed to fix it? And no one working on this car is inexperienced. And I will just add, that even Chrysler repeatedly has denied problems exist - I went to the Edmunds Forum and there are entry after entry with stalling problems that people have no idea what is causing it - and they, as I, are pretty much at their wits end as to what to replace next to solve the problem. We have another intake gasket on order, a cam sensor, and a map sensor will come first of next week - so perhaps between all that we will get the car back up running.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Im not putting any one down Im saying that you or who ever did the work caused the high idle issue not a bad part its bad workmen ship and experience.
Yes the distributors are a know issue no one is desclaming that. Im focused on the high idle which was not there untill the intake was removed which is caused by a vac leak.
Get teh vac leak taken care of then the stalling issue can be addressed.

:got a new distributor and tuned her up - now she is running, but idling so fast that I was coasting up a hill at 35mph - and then it got so bad that I had to use the parking brake at a stoplight to keep from plowing into the car in front of me."
This issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help needed