Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

I get Great mileage with my 96. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Default I get Great mileage with my 96. Why?

My 1996 has over 170,000 miles but still gets better mileage then it was supposed to get when it was new. My mileage varies of course but still the worst I get is 29 city and if I hold it just under 2,400 rpm on the interstate I can get up to 34mpg. It will pass someone in a flash when needed but I’ve still averaged 30-32mpg over the years. It has the 2.5 V6 but there is a sticker under the hood that says it had an authorized program change. MY GPS says the speedometer/odometer is right on the money so there is no error. Any Ideals why I get this mileage and if I have it rebuilt will I still get this mileage?
Edit: It is starting to use oil so I need to make up my mind about what to do with it. Any ideals on about what it should cost to get it completly rebuilt, transmission also? Thanks for reading this.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Default RE: I get Great mileage with my 96. Why?

well I'm not sure about the gas milage but If you still want to keep the car, put a bottle of no-leak (or the equivalent) into the crankcase. That should stop the leak unless it is really bad.
My only guess with the good gas milage is that you maintain your car really well.
Thats my 2 cents worth

Old 08-26-2007, 04:09 PM

Off the cuff, a rebuild of engine and transmission could be in the neighborhood of $5,000.

It is extremely dependent on the condition of the engine and tranny though, so you might call some local shops and see what they'll want.

Most engines I've worked with have been between 2,500 and 3,500 for the short block (no other components replaced, those will be additional) and trannys tend to be between 2,000 and 3, 000 in our area.

The biggest advantage you'll have going this route is you'll absolutely know the current condition of the vehicle. Spend that kind of money on a used car or even jump up to a new one and you won't know its condition for a while. And then you start paying for the repairs in either time or money depending on the warranty.

BTW, most good shops will warrant their repairs for a period of time so you could have a decent warranty on your rebuilt components.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM

Did you ever consider finding where the oil is going before changing your engine and transmission? As for the cost, you just have to call around and price them out. Dealerships are expensive, but they are supposed to be certified or something like it, and also offer a warrenty. but weigh in your costs, and see if getting a newer "used" vehicle would be more feesable.

I would do a few checks if it was me.

-I would have a compression check done to see if you are burning it.
- Put a piece of cardboard underneath the engine to make sure its not just leaking out
- pull the spark plugs, there will be a lot of deposits on them if you are burning oil.

Although it is more than likely you are burning it because of your mileage, it's just usually better to do some cheap checks instead of jumping the gun on a few thousand dollar engine, when it's only a valve cover gasket.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:47 PM

Sheez man .... I got about 1/2 that on me and I burn j2 quarts a day oil ... [8D][8D]

I am looking around at getting a 2.5L rebuilt. So far, anyone reputable dont want to take my long block and rebuild it. They just want to sell me a reman for between 2400 and 3500. I havent checked on the tranny yet. I found a link to a site that sold a very complete rebuild kit. I think I book marked it at work. Lemme see if I can find it .... but the problem is, I would still need to find someone to do the rebuild.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:51 PM

http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/html/...ory-147-0.html thar it goes !!!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 PM

Heres a response I got from Rhino Engines and Trannys

Please review the following remanufactured solution and contact me for
more detailed information:

What sets RHINO Engines and Transmissions apart?

* RHINO Engines and Transmissions are remanufactured to the latest
engineering updates; built stronger to last longer

* RHINO completely disassembles every engine to the basic block and
heads; following cleaning and inspection, trained ASE Certified
technicians assemble the unit using extensive new parts - and test on
state-of-the-art machinery

* RHINO engines come with a new oil pump and finishing gasket set

* RHINO transmissions are dyno tested and shipped with a
remanufactured; balanced torque converter

* RHINO provides the GUARANTEED LOWEST PRICING with comparable products

* FREE SHIPPING
* FREE Lift Gate Service
* FREE Residential Delivery
* FAST Delivery from extensive inventory

Unit Price: $ 3749 + core deposit

Core Deposit: $ 310 (credited following core return)

Shipping: FREE in continental US - both ways!

Tax: No tax outside of New York

Warranty: Engine: 3 years / unlimited miles parts and labor

Thanks for exploring why RHINO is unique and your best option in the
remanufacturing marketplace. You are welcome to contact me with any
questions or if you would like to place an order.

Joe
Rhino Engines and Transmissions
800.454.8130 Ext 102

Old 09-19-2007, 07:11 PM

Well, It is a Chrysler. And Chrysler is the best. haha Seriously. Chrysler = Love