Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Nooob. Need help with motor problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Default Nooob. Need help with motor problems!

Hey everyone, I have a quick question...

My g.f has a 1997 Chrysler Sebring, 2.5L V6, convertible...

Anywho, about 2 weeks ago, she ran it out of gas. We put some in it and went to the gas station and filled it all the way up. When it got to about half a tank, the car started to 'sputter' around 40-50. First thing I thought was fuel filter. Then it just died on me just below a half a tank and won't start back up. When I was trying to start it on the side of the road, it was making a knocking noise (spark knock I presume).

We were gone for a week and now, when I try to start it, it sounds like it wants to start. No knocking or any wierd noise. But it just won't turn over.

So then I take out a spark plug and see if it's giving fire, well...it's not. I took the fuel line off the fuel rail and gas is coming out in decent amounts.

Tonight I replaced the distribuitor cap and rotor, but still no luck! I turned the ignition off and on 3 times and it gave me a 1-2-5-5 code. But that only told me that the battery has been disconnected. And I did that to install the cap and rotor.[/align][/align]I thought it could be the camshaft sensor, but I was hoping that it wouldn't be that since that's a $250 part.[/align][/align]If I can't figure it out, does anyone have any helpful hints or any link to replace this 2.5 with another 2.5? Time involved? Special tools? Anything to look out for?

Does anyone have any suggestions? THANKS!

Brenton[/align]

Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Nooob. Need help with motor problems!

hey man I am from ATL nice to see some locals on here.
How did u go about checking for spark? if u just pull a plug out and attach it that way it wont work it needs to be grounded inorder for it to make a spark.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:56 PM

I actually used a spark plug tester. (2) Neither one of them would work/light up.

I think it may just be the distribuitor. But I'm open to other options/opinions.

For giggles...my vehicle...

Name:  112.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  86.0 KB

Old 08-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

yeah u are in bad luck tehn a whole distribuitor is 9 times out of 10 the prob.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 PM

I had to bring this thread back to life, sorry...

Is it possible for her car to have 'jumped time?'

Brenton

Old 09-19-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mazdaboy873

Hey everyone, I have a quick question...

My g.f has a 1997 Chrysler Sebring, 2.5L V6, convertible...

Anywho, about 2 weeks ago, she ran it out of gas. We put some in it and went to the gas station and filled it all the way up. When it got to about half a tank, the car started to 'sputter' around 40-50. First thing I thought was fuel filter. Then it just died on me just below a half a tank and won't start back up. When I was trying to start it on the side of the road, it was making a knocking noise (spark knock I presume).

We were gone for a week and now, when I try to start it, it sounds like it wants to start. No knocking or any wierd noise. But it just won't turn over.

So then I take out a spark plug and see if it's giving fire, well...it's not. I took the fuel line off the fuel rail and gas is coming out in decent amounts.

Tonight I replaced the distribuitor cap and rotor, but still no luck! I turned the ignition off and on 3 times and it gave me a 1-2-5-5 code. But that only told me that the battery has been disconnected. And I did that to install the cap and rotor.[/align][/align]I thought it could be the camshaft sensor, but I was hoping that it wouldn't be that since that's a $250 part.[/align][/align]If I can't figure it out, does anyone have any helpful hints or any link to replace this 2.5 with another 2.5? Time involved? Special tools? Anything to look out for?

Does anyone have any suggestions? THANKS!

Brenton[/align]

Hey guys, I have a similar problem this, I replaced the cap and rotor, plugs, and even changed the oil . When I replaced the plugs, the wells were filled with oil. At first i thought that the head was cracked, but it didnt make sense. Could the oil be getting in thruogh the top of the ring seals under the valve covers or could it be something worse all to gether.

Thanks for any input, I am ready to set fire to this car..

Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 PM

By wells, you mean the cylindrical gaskets that go between the valve cover inside and the top of the head to enclose the sparkplug?

If so, then they are designed to keep the oil out. But over time, they will harden and develop small cracks that allow oil to seep through. Your "boots" sound like they need to be replaced. You can usually get them with the valve cover gaskets as a full set. Since the valve cover gasket and the boots are made of the same material, if one has gotten hard and brittle enough to leak, the other probably has too.