Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

I have oil sludge, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Default I have oil sludge, please help.

I have recently purchased a 2006 Chrysler Sebring Touring Sedan, 2.7L V6 with 27K miles. Two days after the purchase I removed the oil cap and found a thick build-up of sludge on it and inside the valve cover. I need to know if this is a common problem with the 2.7L, or a sign of neglect from the previous owner. I am going to do two 2K oil changes back to back with Synthetic or Synthetic Blend oil to see if this will purge the engine of the current build-up. Also, will using 5W-30 instead 5W-20 cause damage to the engine? I am not confident with how well 5W-20 protects moving parts. Is there some oil additive that can be recommended to ensure engine longevity? I am fairly mechanically inclined but unfamiliar with type of drivetrain.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I have oil sludge, please help.

u had better either take it back to who u got it from and get your money back or see if the dealer will help u out in ne way being 27k. That motor is toast if u see sludge in it already. U wasting time and money on oil products wont do u any good in the long run on this one. I will be putting a motor in it REAL soon. When u get this all working out use 5 30 or 5 20 which ever it says in the book or on the oil fill cap. Dont play around with this the motor will run u 7k

Old 02-12-2007, 11:06 PM

Thanks for the advise. I will contact the dealer this week and make it known what they will do to correct this situation. I am use to the old V-8's where a little bit of sludge did not spell death to motor.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:51 AM

Drain the oil, fill it back up with trans fluid. It has a high detergent content so it brakes down sludge pretty good. I would then drain it again and then fill it up with oil again and add an oil system cleaner. This will help.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

if u do that while still under warranty then kiss any and all help from chrysler. A tech will kill that in a heart beat. The manager will as well.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:24 PM

What does not help is that some dearlerships will short the engine 1/2 qt of oil and say that its OK to do such on any car.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM

Well most cars have a quart leway from full to add. They put it in the safe operating range. If you don't want to have any technical hassells with the dealership, just go to your local parts store and buy an oil system cleaner or engine cleaner. There is one from Gunk and one from Eagle. The eagle one is better, it doesn't contain alchol, methonol, or kerosene.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:28 PM

I will be pulling the oil pan this weekend to see how much metal has been collected with the magnet. I am not really sure what is considered an acceptable amount for a car with 27K miles. I might do an engine flush after I contact the dealership. From what I am reading, I have a better chance of flying to the moon then exchanging cars, refund orsome other solution. The topend of the engine seems to be getting plenty of oil flow and there are not any metal to metal sounds occurring. But to add to this little nightmare, I forgot to mention that the coolant was low. Discovered this when the heater went cold at idle.The engine had sufficient coolant, it was not running hot. Thanks for all the repliesfrom everyone. I will be posting my progress with this. If all else failsI canget about 50 friends together to picket the dealership in shifts. That will be a sight.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:22 AM

im sorry to say this, but thats why i stay clear of 2.7s. ive heard and seen of a TON of problems with them. only thing you can do is clean it all out, run some oil through it and drain at 500 miiles, 2000 miles and then another 2000 miles. that should clear it up unless theres already engine damage from it. good luck man.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 AM

Mine is OK so far. I have 40K on it, and use synthetic.
I heard about this problem, and it is an internal leak of antifreeze into the oil. Not good!
I keep checking. I may have to trade-up if it seems to be starting.

Quick Reply: I have oil sludge, please help.