Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

I have oil sludge, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Default RE: I have oil sludge, please help.

At 27k mi, that engine was ignored. Supposedly the sludge issue for 2.7L was corrected in 2002. To see it on a 2006 tells you the car was not properly maintained.

My 01 Limited isn't showing any signs of sludge, just under 39k mi now. I've been using synthetic for over a year, just to be safe.

Tell that dealer to find you another car, or get them to warranty that engine to 100k mi.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM

Since this thread has popped back up towards the top...this is what I found. The perceived sludge was "wet" sludge on the oil cap. It was a slight build up of moisture mixed with the oil caused most likely from many short trips performed by previous owner, which did not allow the oil to get to proper temps, thus not evapurating condensation. The coolant level has never dropped since I took over ownership. I check it every other day. The hood latch spring may give out before the motor ever does. lol The PCV was somewhat clogged also, which could have pervoked the build-up too. I am using M1 5W-20 oil (which is a Group III with POA's added to base stock)at 3K OCI'S which should help in preventing the sludgies and will soon do an Auto-RX clean cycle to make sure the loose "wet" sludge is removed. The limited sight afforded to the valve covers does not lend much help to see how much actuall build-up has occured on the top end. However, I did fish some speaker wire (crude, I know) into the PCV port and oil cap kneck and pulled out a little "wet" sludge that coated the wire. The small clumps broke down easily when rubbed between my fingers which is not a characteristic of burnt sludge. A friend whom is a retired master mechanic with three different auto makers said that tearing down the top end to take a peak was not nessecary with what he sees. Mazda techs would have to measure a 10mm depth of sludge on the oil cap before they would consider the engine to have a sludge issue. The sludge film on my cap has not reappeared since my fist oil change. Happy motoring and good luck on your 2.7's.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: drivewaytech

The topend of the engine seems to be getting plenty of oil flow and there are not any metal to metal sounds occurring. But to add to this little nightmare, I forgot to mention that the coolant was low. Discovered this when the heater went cold at idle.The engine had sufficient coolant, it was not running hot. Thanks for all the repliesfrom everyone. I will be posting my progress with this. If all else failsI canget about 50 friends together to picket the dealership in shifts. That will be a sight.
Special tool is needed to fill coolant properly. Dilership will do it for a 50 doll. probably not counting antifreeze cost.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator