Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Issues with 2010 Sebring Touring 2.4 not starting after alternator and battery replac

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 06:02 PM
Default Issues with 2010 Sebring Touring 2.4 not starting after alternator and battery replac

I'll perface this by saying that I have had tipm issues I believe for a long time and I currently do have a used one on order I'm going to try swapping out. About 6 months ago, my horn stopped working after which I lost my right passenger headlight and blinker and my abs light came on

Being the cheapo I am, I just wired my driver headlight to the passenger headlight and carried on for the last 6 months. No issues

Until the other weekend. Car was dead. Was acting like a bad alternator (battery light came on while driving, after shutting the car off it wouldn't start. went to jump the car, smelled something funny, alternator was getting red hot) replaced the alternator (never got it tested, but spinning the alternator by hand produced a grinding noise) and everything was good for 3 days.

Then my car died at a gas station. Had a real hard time getting it started, finally got it started. Car was acting crazy while driving, dash lights coming on, speedo jumping around, but after about 20 minutes of driving everything went back to normal. Parked the car, wouldn't start. Said screw it, went to Walmart bought a battery. Car initially wouldn't start, jumped it, boom everything fine for again. Drove the car for days with no issues. Until 4 days later, car died at the store again. Stone dead wouldn't even try to turn over after driving it and starting it all day long.

Got a jump, car started immediately, drove it for 20 minutes car was fine for another 4 days until today. Car died at the store again. Got a jump drove for 20 minutes everything seemed seemed good. Bright it home, car won't start again lol
obviously I'll be replacing the tipm as soon as it gets here but is there anything else you guys think I should be looking into?

Thanks for any advice

Old 03-26-2023, 07:10 PM

I'm having the same problem. I've replaced my alternator (needed replacement), battery, and the starter. I'm having the same exact issue your having but whenever I plug my OBD2 in it gives me a P0700 code which points to the TCM. I've looked online and tried to source a TCM but it seems like they don't exist because I cant find a video, ad listing, nothing showing me what a Chrysler 2010 Sebring 2.4l TCM looks like or where I could possibly buy one. What made you think its the TIPM? Please keep me updated as to how this goes for you.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:38 PM

Have you checked and Made sure your battery terminals are clean and everything is good and tight.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:41 PM

The p0700 is simply a code that lights the Check Engine Lamp. There is a more specific code set within the TCM that will note the actual condition reported. Some auto parts stores are able to pull the more specific p07xx codes. A number of handheld scanners are also able to do so if equipped.

There is no separate TCM, it is a part of the PCM.

As a suggestion, I would drop the transmission pan, replace the filter, and refill with licensed atf+4. Fresh atf+4 has been know to resolve a number of trans issues.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:53 PM

I've been going around town all day asking for a TCM just to have everyone tell me they cant find one, go figure. I'm going to change the Transaxle fluid tomorrow and i'll come back to update you. Does this fluid look good?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...uart/oro0/atf4

Old 03-26-2023, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by kylenorton003
I'm having the same problem. I've replaced my alternator (needed replacement), battery, and the starter. I'm having the same exact issue your having but whenever I plug my OBD2 in it gives me a P0700 code which points to the TCM. I've looked online and tried to source a TCM but it seems like they don't exist because I cant find a video, ad listing, nothing showing me what a Chrysler 2010 Sebring 2.4l TCM looks like or where I could possibly buy one. What made you think its the TIPM? Please keep me updated as to how this goes for you.

For your guys sake i hope its not this. Thats alot of money. Hopefully you can get one at the jy instead.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:15 PM

is this what you're looking for?

Old 03-26-2023, 08:24 PM

I've been going around town all day asking for a TCM just to have everyone tell me they cant find one, go figure. I'm going to change the Transaxle fluid tomorrow and i'll come back to update you. Does this fluid look good?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...uart/oro0/atf4

it says it does not fit your car. My Sebring takes atf+4 but it a 04.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:31 PM

Yeah Castrol ATF4 works in my car but OReilly's doesnt.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:35 PM

The problem is either
-Bad transmission fluid
-Solenoid (what you just posted)
-Bad valve body
-PCM

I'm going to try to fix in the order of
1. Fluid
2. PCM
3. Solenoid
4. Valve Body

Quick Reply: Issues with 2010 Sebring Touring 2.4 not starting after alternator and battery replac