Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Leaking Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Default Leaking Head Gasket

Hello, bought a2005 2.7 in Oct 2015. I have a 3 month warranty. I had dye put in the oil and it shows i have a head gasket leak. It is dripping but not a puddle every day. My warranty covers engine block. Dealer won't fix had gasket because he says it's not part of the power train! What?! Car doesn't overheat, no oil in the water. I feel I need to pursue my rights under warranty. Should I be concerned with this gasket? Thanks, Kim

Old 01-15-2016, 07:30 PM

Are you sure it's a head gasket and not merely a valve cover that's leaking? The valve cover is a more likely candidate and may just need a gentle tightening. The valve cover gasket is much easier to replace if it's that.

A very slow oil leak is not a serious concern but oil spots on the driveway are a nuisance. Also, check your oil level and don't let it get more than a quart low between changes. If the rate of leakage gets worse, then eventually you should consider repairs.

As to your warranty, if the head gasket is not part of the powertrain, what is it? And what would this "warranty" actually cover?

Pull that warranty out and read it carefully, especially the part about disputes.

If you think you're being taken for a ride, you might want to talk with a lawyer in your state who specializes in lemon law cases. You can probably find one by googling lemon law [your state]

Often, attorneys will give you a free initial consultation to see if you have a case.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:03 PM
Default Dealer checked the oil leak...

They are the ones that said it was a head gasket. Lemon Law doesn't apply to my used vehicle....

Old 01-16-2016, 10:01 AM

I think you misunderstood what they meant. A head gasket leak would leak coolant internally, not oil. They probably meant a valve cover leak. That's what you are seeing on the ground. Whether or not it's covered by your warranty is another issue. It's not a serious problem as long as it's not pouring out and you keep the oil level correct. It's a fairly common issue with the 2.7 motors. If it's the front one it's not that bad to replace. If it's the back one it's a pain.

John

Old 01-16-2016, 01:56 PM

Very interesting about this being a common issue. Yes, it is oil and not coolant. I will check my coolant to see if there is any residue in the overflow tank. Thank you.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:10 PM

I wasn't suggesting the lemon law applied to your used vehicle. You asserted that you had a warranty. If that applies to your vehicle, a lawyer who knows the lemon law would be able to advise you on your rights under the warranty. That's the kind of stuff they do. They do more than merely lemon law cases.

Do you understand what is referred to when we say "valve covers"? And if there's an internal leak it's equally likely that oil will go into the coolant as coolant will go into the oil.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:33 PM

Sure. .. I understand.

The cover is on top of the engine. I've seen them made of aluminum. I've watched a few being replaced (gaskets. ) My leak is on the back right. Probably hard to get to as was stated.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:45 AM

All the more reason to make sure it's not the head gasket.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:04 PM

I believe there is a certain type of test to know if the head gasket has been blown. But the cause must be known and more or less dealer is correct about not the gasket not covered by the warranty mostly these parts are the consumable one's.