Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

MAJOR LEAK! Needs help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Default MAJOR LEAK! Needs help asap!

Hey all, this is my first post, hoping to get some good help from you guys.

Lets start by talking about the problem,
My dads loves his car, a 1999 sebring convertible with the 2.5 engine. Its his pride and joy. the car has 89k miles or somewhere around there, and has run great for years now, with no problems except we had to replace the oil ascending unit and valve cover gasket.

Now the problem, the car has slowly leaked antifreeze for about 6 months now, every night the car would accumulate a small puddle the size of an apple under the car of antifreeze, but it has not gotten worst at all for months, so we were not worried about it, just add antifreeze every few weeks and all was well.

On his way home today, he went through a minor puddle because it had rained, and saw that there was steam coming up from the engine and sides of the car, this was right outside our neighborhood, so he drove it home. by the time he go into the drive way, the car had no antifreeze in it, and the temp was at max. we let the car cool completely down, then added some tap water, and it came right back out in the bottom of the car, as a very aggressive and fast drip.

We raised the car, and took a good look to try to see where the water was coming from, it seems to be from above the starter area, between a pan for the transmission i believe.

What could this be? some guy at auto zone said it could be freeze bolts?

im not sure,

I hope you guys can go on this journey with me and my dad as we try to figure out whats wrong with his mid life crisis, or should i say, "Mid life chrysler"

Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

buy a pressure tester and put 15 lbs of pressure and see where it is leaking from .

Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
buy a pressure tester and put 15 lbs of pressure and see where it is leaking from .
+1 Or a parts store may rent one to you. If you're a frequent DIY, try and find one to keep.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 AM

Thats actually an awesome idea, i might create something, we have a air compressed already, i could just try to here were the sound of escaping air is coming from. If i removed the end of the tube going to the expansion tank, and capped off the expansion tank end with a plug, and put the blower end up to the hose, and held it there with 10-15 psi, do you think that would work?

Also, i ment to type freeze plugs in my first post, i looked them up a good bit, And i kinda have a feeling its what it could be.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Best of luck identifying the leak source. I have a similar question I will post in another thread. I have a pump cooling system pressure checker that attaches to the "radiator cap" which you pump up and down thus pressurizing the system. On my 2002 sebring, the "radiator cap" is on the plastic coolant reservoir. I'm wondering how safe it is to pressuring the system using the plastic reservoir?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

its already designed to hold pressure well over 15 psi

Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 AM

Okay, I rigged up something, I took off the line that goes into the expansion tank because every time i put air into the radiator cap, it would bubble, so i kinked that line, then i put the air compressed hose attacked to a rubber hose into the radiator cap, and taped it off really well so it was airtight. It held no pressure when a low psi air was released into the system, a major air leak seemed to be coming from underneath the exhaust manifold on the front side of the engine. I believe its coming from the freeze plug from where i felt in there, its gotta be the center plug, or the driver side, or both..

I looked around, but couldn't find anything, anyone know where i can find a guide to get to them darn plugs? Do i have to remove the front of the car and radiator and alternator?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:20 AM

I've never done that on a car like yours although I did it on my old T-Bird years ago and it wasn't too bad, but that was rear wheel drive with the engine pointed in the right direction.
Anyway, you'll probably have to remove at least the crossover pipe, oil filter and starter to get up in there, and maybe the catalytic converter as well.
You need some working space. The idea to get the old one out is to hit it at one side so it rotates in place. (You want to rotate it like a coin spinning on the table, not like a record spinning on a turntable, if that helps visualize the turn.) Knocking one side in causes the other side to come out. Then you grab the side that's out with a pliers and pull it out. To install the new one, you need to drive it in using an appropriate sized driver (a socket of the correct diameter might do) to hammer it in, but carefully so as to not go in too far.
If that's beyond your skill level, then you've got a perfect Christmas present for Dad right there.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:07 PM

I have a question. What is the build date on your car. It's in the drivers door jamb on a label. The 96-98 had a freeze plug recall. Built Through July 23, 1997

Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM

If these freeze plugs are similar to the ones of old, never EVER, tap or hit the plug on the edge or lip when installing. That will insure a leak. Of course after install, test before putting everything back together....duh.

Quick Reply: MAJOR LEAK! Needs help asap!