Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

my 99 sebring is a battery killer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Default my 99 sebring is a battery killer

about a year ago the alternator went out i brought it up to the chrysler dealership to get it replace. about two days later the alt fell off due too lose bolts they sent a tow truck to pick it up they fix it and paid for everything.

then about two months later the battery went dead i just replace it
and the battery light started to come on and go off at random times
i didnt think anything of it cuz i had a new alt and battery

about a month of the battery light going off and on at random times. the new battery went dead. again i replaced it. i started to think somethings going wrong here.

and another month went by i was on my way home and the car wouldn't shift into drive i pulled into a store check the trans fluid it was fine.
pulled out of the store still wouldn't shift then all the dash gauges went crazy jumping up and down and the car started to jerk(run bog run bog)
trying to run off the alternator it seemed. then the car went dead. another battery dead.

i replace that battery brought it up to autozone let them test it when the battery light was on ( good timing ) alt and battery tested good.
first thing the autozone guy said you got a short some were.

so every month too two months the battery dies.

does this mean i do have a short some were?
is there anything i could check? (not to good at using volt meters)
or do i have to bring it up to a repair shop to get the electrical system checked out?

1999 rag-top sebring
everything electrical in the car works

Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Before take it back in, check to see if the terminal connectors on the cables are tight enough. Also make sure that the contact areas are clean.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Yes, you need an electrical guy to go over it. First ting that popped into my head is that one of the engine grounds is loose. Second thing is that your field coil wires (2) are damaged somewhere. These are 2 wires between ALT and PCM that the PCM uses to regulate voltage output. The Autozone guy has no idea WTF he's talking about. He just knows what his tester says on the readout. No practical knowledge necessary for that.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM

thanks for the tips i went through every thing i could in that car
nothing made the light go off
i guess it needs to head to the repair shop =/

Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 PM

a mechanic told me to try disconnecting the battery and touch the wires together and turn the key to on then off hook battery back up and start it.

now the car wont even start at all just clicking when i go to start it up

jumped it with my truck it started up no issue unhooked jumpers let it run for a bit turned it off then tried to start it and clicking again. so i guess another battery dead?

the Chrysler dealership wants $200.00 to put it on there computer.
well he said if my guy comes back n tells me one hour it would be around 200 to 300 dollars. just to put it on the computer..seems a little much

thinking i should get a code reader and see if that will tell me anything