Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Need help hooking up buzzer to headlights

Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Default Need help hooking up buzzer to headlights

I've got a problem with my 2006 Sebring Convertible. The headlights come on by themselves - intermittently - while I'm driving.

When this occurs, the parking lights are not on, just the headlights - and when I shut the car off there is no warning buzzer telling me the lights are on... the car's computer or sensors are apparently not aware the lights are on.

I've replaced the multi-function switch but that didn't help.

So, I'm at the point now where I just want to buy a small, cheap 12V buzzer to hook to the lights positive terminal and a ground that is ONLY ground when the key is off.

Does anyone know where I can find a ground that is only ground when the key is turned off?

I figure if the headlights are on and one side of the buzzer is connected to the headlight and the other is connected to a ground the buzzer should sound when the key turns off if the lights are on.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:23 AM

I think there was a "daytime running lights module" that was standard equipment for cars sold in Canada. It would turn the headlights on at a lower intensity while driving in daylight. Take your VIN to your local dealer and ask at the parts counter to find out if by chance your vehicle was equipped with that. Another possible explanation might be that somebody replaced your body computer from a car that was equipped with that module and your body computer is just confused.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 AM

I could understand that if it happened all the time... but you can drive it for days without the problem happening... then, all of a sudden, the lights will be on... and daytime running lights shut off when you turn the key off...

Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 PM

The daytime running lights are controlled by an electronic module operating with the body computer. When two electronic modules are expected to work together, things can happen.

Look for a loose or corroded ground wire connection.