Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Need some help, where to go next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Default Need some help, where to go next?

Ok, will try to make this as short as possible.

I have a 2001 Chrysler Sebring Sedan 2.7 DOHC.

One day we were driving, and car stalled at a red light. Tried starting it up, and friend told me to check the oil. Sure enough their was water in the oil. So my friend told me "probably" the head gasket blew.

So I called everywhere, well it was around $1400 to fix. (somewhere around there). So I basically put the car in the back yard, and started pulling out bolts, etc.. and then had friend help me (who used to be a mechanic), get the heads off, after a few weeks. Noticed they were metal gaskets, so he thought the heads might be warped, so I got them cut. Upon further investigation after taking the side plate off, we found the water pump was bad, which I guess would of been the reason for water in the oil.

So we replaced that, replaced the gaskets, set the timing, etc etc and
started to put it back together (skipping the thermostat). Well anyways, after was all put back together, car ran BEAUTIFUL.. Drove it for about 2 weeks short distances, never more than 20 mins. One day after work, drove it about 35 + mins, then never let car cool, and then drove home the same amount of time. During the trip home, it sounded like lifter noises or something, i didn't know, so i barely made it to my buddies house. (car read normal temps), so my buddy said you must have a bad temperature sensor, and thermostat, went to the store, bought both, got them replaced, and after starting the car up, started to hear a tick, tick, tick..

After this, we parked the car, and were going to work on it, this has been now 8 months to a year later. I need to get this car working again. I dont remember what he said it might be. But Rod Bearings, or Main bearing, or something under the oil pan???

Car now won't start, im sure it has a 1/2 tank of bad gas, so I need to first start it up. What is the best way to drain the gas? and what should i do to start investigating this problem?

Please let me know.

PS. Someone told me that, since the problem is fixed now, that i should be able to put thicker oil, and lucas oil (after car is running), and it should quite the noise, and possible be runable, but doesn't know for how long.

Any ideas?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

have a professional look at it there is to many things there are now to many things that U guys could have done on top of this issue wrong.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 PM

I am pretty sure we did everything right, as in means of putting it back together. He is a 20 year ASE mechanic, and would have him help me now, but he's moved out of state. We also used his all data for the timings, and specs, and everything. Just omitted the thermostat, because of me wanting to get it back together. I don't have the money to get a mechanic to look at it. I will just try selling it then.