Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

New here, looking for some info- 01 Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Default New here, looking for some info- 01 Sebring

Hey Guys, I'm new here and was looking to get some info on my 01 Sebring, I got it a few months ago off of my mother, she bought the car brand new and has always had it garage maintaned. It's a hard top, LXi, 3.0 auto tranny and has 169k miles (and climbing) and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be on the lookout for. The trans fluid needs a flush real bad, it's pretty cooked, she's not sure if it's ever been changed. I'm a diesel guy, I know nothing about these cars, I usually buy a car and drive it into the ground and then just buy another one, but this thing is in mint condition so I'd like to take care of it

Old 08-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Yes, get the trans flushed and the fluid replaced ASAP. It was due a hundred thousand miles ago. If you're not sure about the antifreeze, get that done, too. Probably will need oil and battery, brake fluid, pads and rotors, maybe power steering fluid.

For your info, the coupe was built by Mitsubishi. I think they called it the Eclipse. Check one out and you'll see it's the same car. Also, the Dodge Stealth for that year is basically the same. When ordering parts, don't get anything for a sedan or convertible. It won't fit.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the info! first thing I did when I got it was change oil, brakes are close to needing changing too, but the only real problem the car has is when I first start it up and it's in any gear but neutral (even park) it makes a loud noise like a humming or deep buzzing almost, and the throttle is a little sticky, as in hard to push it past idle. Are there any common or well known problems with these cars? Anything besides the usual wear and tear?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:47 PM

I'm a 2.7L owner, so not positive on the 3.0L, but when we bought ours it had a tenancy to really "launch" itself... Cleaned up the throttle plate area with cleaner & it was much easier to get a nice smooth take-off.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM

It's basically impossible to diagnose noises over the internet. Humming noises could be power steering, transmission, belt drive problems, etc, etc. Speaking of belts, that 3.0 has a timing belt. It's almost surely due for a replacement. Don't wait until it breaks. You might want to invest in a Haynes manual. Even if you're not a DIYer, you'll be able to discuss repairs intelligently with your mechanic if you are armed with what's in the book.