Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

New and need help (2001 Alternator issue)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:38 PM
Default New and need help (2001 Alternator issue)

I have a 2001 2.7 sebring. The alternator went bad so I replaced it. When I started the car up after the install... The ground wire to the engine block heated up. This wire comes out of the harness it goes from the computer around the front of the engine to the alternator. The wire its self comes out of the harness on the drivers side and into the engine block.
Mind you I did disconnect the battery ground in the engine compartment while doing the install. Maybe I have a bad ground there?? I am at a loss at this point. every thing looks good. Need some help on this one.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Double check everything. Make sure you haven't connected a hot wire to ground. There shouldn't be a whole lot of current flowing unless your battery is very low and desperately in need of charging. Make sure the ground connection is clean and not corroded. If it's a bad connection, then the connection itself would heat up but not the wire away from the connection.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Double check everything. Make sure you haven't connected a hot wire to ground. There shouldn't be a whole lot of current flowing unless your battery is very low and desperately in need of charging. Make sure the ground connection is clean and not corroded. If it's a bad connection, then the connection itself would heat up but not the wire away from the connection.
Roger that....This got my goat. Everything went so well never expected this one. Going to get under the hood in 45min and hammer this one out. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Question for you. So I've gone back through everything. The ground wire that's getting hot is the green ground wire off the alternator. Looks to be a direct ground. Is there a possibility my new alternator had an issue? Feeding a current back down the ground? It's part of a 2 prong plug below the large hot from the battery. The plug has an orange with a green stripe and the green ground. I would hate to think they manufacture flipped the wires internally on the altanator

Old 12-07-2015, 10:40 PM

Green is not a ground in a car. Green is a ground line in your house but not in a car. The green line from the generator (alternator) should lead to the PCM. It controls the field for the generator. The orange/green line runs to the PDC (power distribution center aka fuse box). The red line runs to the battery and starter motor.

Typically, a ground line in a car is black. Since the generator is bolted to the engine block, its ground is direct.