Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:09 AM
Question oil change

I have 2010 Chrysler Sebring Limited 3.5L.
Few days ago I've changed the engine oil.
The drained oil volume was only 2.75 liters.
I've noticed that the oil pan was oily from the outside. Could be that I didn't tighten enough the drain bolt during the previous oil change?
Strange that there was no any warning light on the dashboard regarding the low oil level.

According to the specifications the engine oil capacity is 5.5 liters for 3.5L engine.
I filled up 5 liters of new oil and when I've checked with the dipstick, it was already over the maximum level.
This is a puzzle, I've drained 2.75 liters then filled up 5 liters and the level is already over the limit.
Any clue what could have happened?

P.S. the engine oil fill cap says 10W30 , Chrysler specification recommend 5W20 . Which oil indeed is suitable for this car?

Last edited by mraskin; 10-17-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:45 PM

1. Use the oil specified in the owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual, download a copy from chrysler.com.

2. It's not easy to find a leak that has been leaking for a while. Drops of oil come out and then the oil is blown around as the car is driven so it's hard to tell where it came from. Try giving the top and bottom of the engine a good cleaning with engine cleaner and a hose. Then see if you can spot where the oil is coming out after a short drive or even just letting it idle for a while. There are leak-detecting fluids you can put in that will glow under a "black light" which may help you find the leak. Leaks can come from the drain plug, the oil filter, from the front or rear main bearing seal or from around the oil pan where it's bolted to the engine. Leaks can also occur higher up on the engine like around the valve covers and drip down underneath.

3. The light on the dashboard does not warn you about low oil level. It warns about low oil pressure, which occurs when the oil level is very low and the oil pump is sucking air.

4. Put in the amount of oil specified. It might seem a little high at first but it takes about a half a liter to fill up the oil filter. After it has run for a few minutes, turn it off, let it sit while the oil runs back down and then check it again. It should be fine. You will always want to change the oil when the engine is warm so that the old oil runs out easily. When checking oil level, the engine should either be warm or should have sat cold for a good long time on level ground. If you start a cold engine and then shut it off right away to check the oil, most of the oil will have been pumped up into the upper parts of the engine and will take time to run back down. If the car is not level you can get an erroneous reading.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:03 PM

It could be leaking somewhere or worst burning oil in the combustion chamber.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:02 PM

To add. A leak down test and compression test will surely helpful to know the overall health of your engine.