Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Oil Light after Pan Gasket Replacement, Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Default Oil Light after Pan Gasket Replacement, Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement.

Greetings!

I've been chasing an oil leak on my '05 Touring Convertible, and now have a new issue.

The purchase agreement for my car when I purchased it also came with oil changes for the lifetime of the car/my ownership, so I haven't been the one changing the oil since I purchased it in 2013.

The dealership that does the oil change kept whining about an oil leak that I supposedly had, yet I never had an oil spot in the driveway where I have parked for the past 2-3 years, and I'm never low on oil - whatever leak was there was an EXTREMELY slow leak.

I recently visited a more local dealer to diagnose/repair had what they called "death wobble" - apparently ball joint/control arm, and asked them to look into the oil leak while they had the car.

They diagnosed the problem as a leaky pan gasket, and all was replaced/repaired under warranty.

When I got the car back, I noticed an oil spot forming where I park, so I took the car back to the dealer - apparently, now my oil pressure sensor was bad, and that was causing the leak, which they couldn't tell because of the mess of the pan gasket.

I don't know why I didn't have an oil spot forming BEFORE I took the car in for repair, but apparently, that will remain one of life's little mysteries.

Anyhow, I get the car back the second time, with the new oil pressure sensor. Doesn't appear to be any more leak, but, now I have some odd oil light madness.

First trip in the car was after an approximately 12 mile trip home from the repairing dealer - oil light came on as I took the final corner to home (about half a mile), and was steady.

Parked the car, figured I'd check the oil - oil is full up to the cross-hatch mark.

Following day, started the car, no more oil light. Drove approximately 15 miles to work, oil light stayed off until I started to park, and the light came on, but this time, it was a steady, irregular flashing, almost like a shorting light bulb.

Is it possible that I just have a loose wiring harness plugged into the sensor? Anyone have a good picture showing where this sensor is so I can check it and see?

If not a loose harness, does my problem description come close to any known issue I should be looking for?

Thank you all for any help you can provide!!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:40 AM

Assuming yours is a 2.7L V-6, the sensor is on the rear side of the engine toward the firewall, passenger side of car. It's hidden behind a shield which is held in place by three bolts, and is somewhat of a PITA to get to. There's a write-up over on the Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club website complete with pictures. The oil pressure switch is a known problem, both for leaks and false signals, but if they replaced it, it should have been taken care of. If you have that wonderful service plan, then take it back and have them fix it right. It might just be a bad switch, but it might also be low oil pressure, which will destroy the engine. The problem is, you just don't know whether the problem is merely annoying or indicative of serious trouble.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Thank you!

Certainly going to take it back to the dealer, considering this light didn't start getting activated until AFTER they messed with the oil pan gasket.

If it wasn't a new Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep dealer that I trusted, I'd half-suspect some Jiffy Lube-style vandalism...

Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM

I assume you have the 2.7L engine. The sensor needs to be vented to the atmosphere or it can flicker off and on. Chrysler issued a service bulletin to add a small tube to vent it. When I replaced mine I just drilled a small 1/8" hole in the plastic connector. It's possible the harness is filled with oil and is not making good contact but that should've been noticed when it was replaced. Take it back and have them fix it. The oil light coming on is not something to take lightly.

John

Old 08-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks! I'll bring that up when I take the car back on Tuesday.