Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Oil light flicker 2002 Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Default Oil light flicker 2002 Sebring

Hey folks,
been reading about the oil light flicker as my 02 Sebring has had it show up and seen the fixes and some discussion about the light coming on but I have not been able to verify if the light coming on itself is an actual problem.
My oil pressure is within range, so is it actually necessary to do the TSB or the other work arounds for it or can it just be ignored as a phantom reading? Would just like to get a definite answer as to whether the light coming on triggers some program in the PCM to change some settings or what not.
Thanks all!

Oh and if anyone would be so kind is there anything new to be heard about the 2.7 engines? I am aware they are notorious for failing and was wondering if there were any new discoveries on how to keep them alive. I inherited mine from my parents after a water pump died and would like to keep it going as long as possible as it has been kept in really great shape.

Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2016, 01:48 PM

Yes, you can ignore it, but if and when the oil pressure really does get low, you won't know that you are ignoring a real problem until it's too late.

No, there is no magic connection between the PCM and the oil pump. The oil pump and lubrication system operates completely mechanically. The oil pressure switch is the only electrical part.

Over on the Chrysler Sebring Convertible Club website there's a how-to with pictures describing replacement of the switch.

The 2.7L engine is not all that "notorious for failing". You don't see all the people who haven't had problems because they don't speak up. I've had two of them, both with over 100,000 miles without any major problems. Maintain it well and it will probably serve you well. Keep in mind that the car is now 14 years old, and over half way to being regarded as "antique", so it's going to show its age.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:37 AM

I've found that the light will begin to flicker if the switch is leaking even just slightly. It's probably best to replace it. When I did mine I just drilled a small 1/8" hole in the plastic part of the switch rather than do the vent tube as the TSB suggests. It seemed to work just fine.

John

Old 03-14-2016, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the clarification guys. The car has been well maintained and other than the usual rocker rust that shows up in these parts the car is going strong. Need to keep it that way as I cannot afford another car anytime soon! lol