Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Oil light Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Default Oil light Question

Pardon my first post being weak, but I searched around but didn't see a thread that directly talked about this.

My wife and I are looking at an 04 Sebring, 67k, absolute mint shape. The dealer is a reputable, new car dealer. The car's oil light stays on. They agree to diagnose/fix it or we won't purchase it for the agreed price.

Is this a common issue? Is there anything to worry about?
A Google search revealed some issues with sludge buildup, but wanted to here from you guys. We really want this car, but I don't want to spend a fortune later.

Thanks for response, Gary.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 PM

The dealer is a reputable, new car dealer.
Sorry to say, but a REPUTABLE dealer Knows full well that he cant get his maximum price with an obvious flaw like that. If it was so easy to diagnose and fix, it would have been taken care of before the car went up for sale.....My question is why wasnt it????

Which engine are we discussing here???? 2.7 is the "SLUDGE MONSTER" you have heard about. Im not at work at the moment, but I seem to recall something about the oil sensor wiring getting cut up by the serp belt???? in addition to the sludge problems.

My main concern would be, why it wasnt taken care of prior to being put on the lot???

Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic

My main concern would be, why it wasn't taken care of prior to being put on the lot???
Thanks for pointing that out.
It is a 2.7. There's so many different opinions around the internet. One said the sludge problem was fixed after the 02 models. Lots of talk about faulty sensors.
I was able to track down the last owner (55 yoa female) and she said the light has done that for over a year. The Chrysler dealer she took it to said it was common and not to worry about it. Another private mechanic told her the same thing. The glove box had receipts where is was regularly maintenanced by a Chrysler dealer, so I don't think it was abused.
We'll see how it goes, Mary seems stuck on getting a Sebring convertible, whether it's this one or another.
The seller (GMC-Cadillac dealer) says he will have it diagnosed immediately and call me. I'll post up the results.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM

They should replace the oil light sending unit. It is a common problem and easily repaired. It's an important item. If it's not working properly, you have no way of knowing whether your oil pressure is good or not. Find the Sebring convertible forum on line and search for this problem. They show exactly how to fix it.
They also owe you the boot for the convertible. If it's not with the car, ask the previous owner. It's probably sitting in her basement. Women buy convertibles and then put the top down once and once only. As soon as they find out what a mess it makes of their hair they never put it down again. As a result, she probably has no idea what a convertible boot is or what it's for. With luck, she hasn't yet put it in the trash.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM

It probably is that simple.....

But if something like that is too much of an inconvenience to address during a Used Vehicle Inspection, How many SERIOUS issues are Hiding in there, That were also to inconvenient to address?????

If I were a salesman...I would expect my Tech staff to rectify something like that before I put it on the lot......Why argue and lose a sale, or have to cut 200 bucks off the price of the car, when for 50 bucks, its said and done, And I dont have to negotiate over it. I do UVI inspections all the time , and I would have my **** handed to me, If the salesman had to negotiate a deal over something like this.....It Just doesnt make sense to me....

Old 02-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, the dealer called and said it was fixed. It was the oil sending unit. We went and drove it for 10-12 miles and the light didn't come on. As soon as the tax return goes in, we'll have the cash pick it up. Thanks again.