Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Oil in spark plug galleries

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 AM
SSJ
Default Oil in spark plug galleries

Had my 01 Sebring 2.4 DOHC for a little over a year now and decided to change spark plugs and wires. While swapping out the two center plugs, (cylinders 2 and 3), there was about an inch or inch and a half of oil sitting in the spark plug galleries. Any ideas as to how it got there? I'm thinking it is either the old plugs weren't seated tightly, or the top valve cover is somehow leaking into these plug holes. Is this a common occurance and/or am I into costly repair by a technician?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

on the valve cover there is spark plug tube seals u get new ones when U get a valve cover gasket set.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:43 PM
SSJ

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
on the valve cover there is spark plug tube seals u get new ones when U get a valve cover gasket set.
Thank you! So to replace the tube seals, I have to replace the whole valve cover gasket as a kit. Is this a big job with specialized tools, or can a knowledable backyard mechanic do it easily? I work for an aftermarket parts store and can do most of my own repair work. I've never taken the top off a DOHC before, but it doesn't look to complicated at first look. Anything I should watchout for? Or would you recommend a qualified tech do this job?

Last edited by SSJ; 10-09-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: additional info