Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Overheating/Water pump

Old 07-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Default Overheating/Water pump

Hey everyone!
I won't bog this down with a long drawn out explaination of what happening. This is it in a nutshell, the 2.7 is overheating...here's what's been done:
Coolant full,new thermostat,new thermostat housing assembly, radiator checked it's good flushed it anyway, no coolant leaks on the floor or out the weep hole, I blead from the bleeder screw on the housing while filling with coolant and running at idle..ran a piece of tubing from the bleeder to a jug so I could leave it open to purge the air out but it never stopped bubbling..I know sounds like a head gasket but...no milky oil on the dip stick or in the head?? valve covers are off now...waterpump was replaced 5 years ago at the dealer...with the new generation pump..

I'm broke it down yesterday and today, valve covers, timing chain cover. So while removing the 13mm bolts on the timing chain cover that go thru the waterpump I noticed coolant from one and milky oil from the other...cover this be it? I haven't got the pump off yet but I wonder if my problem is a waterpump gasket failure...I'd insert a pic of the bolts but don't know how to do it on the forum..got plenty of pics of the process..anyway wanted a look at the pump before moving to the head gaskets..if anyone has any suggestions please help! It could save so much work!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

open to purge the air out but it never stopped bubbling

heads are warped or the water pump has failed because it cant circulate the water through the heads

Old 08-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Thanks CT,
I'll have the waterpump off after work tonight, thought I would check it first before moving on to the heads..standby..more results tonight..

Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM

"...I'd insert a pic of the bolts but don't know how to do it on the forum..got plenty of pics of the process.."
Go to the albums part of the board and start an album entitled "How to tear down a Sebring 2.7" or whatever and post up your pics there with comments as titles. It's much better than posting them here on a thread where they'll get lost.
The admins will give you posting privileges once they are satisfied that you're not a spammer selling the usual remedies that they do on the internet.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:13 PM

Thanks DC,

Albums...will do...I've got several pics..well I had planned on getting the primary chain off and the waterpump out but ended up getting tied up at the parts house about the new waterpump...according to what I read I need the new style pump with the better sprocket and metal impeller. The new one that came in was a regular pump..should I take it back and hold out for the new style? Anyway after getting home and back under the Sebring I managed to at least get the chain lined up on the timing marks..so I'll be able to get the pump off tomorrow...sorry CT! meant to get it done but ran out of steam! I'll jump now to see if I can build that pic album..more progress tomorrow..

Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM

Hey CT/DC created an album 01 Sebring 2.7 Teardown...posted just a couple of pics I'll have to compress my pics because the file size is to large, I did however get a couple on...one of the 13mm bolts that went thru the timing cover into the waterpump and block that were questionable. Also posted one of the waterpump that was installed 5 years ago at the dealer...I'm pretty sure it's the new style..

Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Water pump is off..didn't find anything unusal once it was off...gasket looked ok and the pump wasn't to bad for 5 years old...here are a couple of pics..so my take is since the water pump appears to be ok I should continue with the teardown and remove the heads to inspect the head gaskets..and check the heads to see if they are warped..any suggestions or advice?

Attached Thumbnails Overheating/Water pump-dscn0101a.jpg   Overheating/Water pump-dscn0102a.jpg  
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

u would need to let a machine shop chk the heads for u.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 PM

CT, will do...heads to the machine shop...any advice on what I should look for to tell if or where the head gasket failed...remember no water in the oil just bubbling from the bleeder on the thermostat housing....I guess what I need to look for is a break in the gasket to the water side right..

Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

i doubt u will find anything with the gasket if the heads are warped the head gasket cant over come the force from the 150 per cyls

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating/Water pump