Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Possible Trans Issue? 08Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 PM
Unhappy Possible Trans Issue? 08Sebring

So i've got a 2008 Sebring Convertible Touring model, 2.7L 124,xxx. Owned it a little over a year at this point, always ran just fine up until it just plain didn't.

Suddenly while my wife was on her way to her trade school, after the car had ran perfectly fine earlier in the day, she lost the ability to accelerate after leaving a stop light and getting up to about 30. Towed it back to the house
and checked it out, it acts like its full of neutrals. No forward or reverse movement whatsoever. Waited for the trans to cool and started the car a few hours later, still nothing.

Engine starts and idles just fine, doesnt run hot, doesnt surge. Have had a whining noise after about 30 minutes of driving coming from engine bay, with no noticeable affect on drive-ability.
No transmission issues, or at least no symptoms in the time ive owned it, No premature up/down, slippage, etc. I know the previous owner and he had no trans symptoms either.
Gear indicator changes and is accurate with shifter position, bushing have been checked on both sides of the linkage, no issues there.

Im stumped on this one guys, its our only vehicle and I dont have access to a code reader till this weekend.
About the end of my rope on this one with things I could actually do at home without sending it to a shop unfortunately I think.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Has the CEL been illuminated? and did you check for a failed(totally disconnected CV/axle joint?
It may not give you all codes, but doing the "Key Dance" will give you an insight of what the computer is seeing, IF you have not disconnected the battery cables.

To do the key dance turn the key on to run position(not starter) and set the odometer to total miles(not trip miles). Turn the key back off and then to the run position 3 times, on the 3rd time leave the key in the run position. P_ _ _ _ code(S) will display in place of the odometer reading, when the computer is finished it will either display a series of dashes and or the word done. Write them down as they appear and post them here.
Also you could try and check trans oil level, IF yours is equipped with a dip stick(some don't have a factory one), but there should be the familiar fill tube with a cap on it that can be taken off and a straightened wire coat hanger wire inserted till it GENTLY touches the bottom of the trans oil pan and will at least show if it has oil in the trans.
GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:17 PM

Ah, my bad. Should have mentioned i did check the trans fluid and its bright pink and full.
Have yet to check for a disconnected CV/axle joint.

Will do the key dance and report back.
Thanks!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:35 PM

Alright, key dance has been accomplished.
No CEL, No codes to be found.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:07 PM

Well, things don't sound like an "easy fix" type situation.
Could be a broken/bad CV / axle joint OR trans pump failure. The "whine noise" you described Could be from a few different sources, but the trans pump(what the torque converter connects to in the trans.) may have gone bad.
Keep in touch as to how things "play out" for you.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 AM

My 08 does not have a 'dipstick" for the trans but does have a capped tube. An Aftermarket "temporary" dipstick is available. It comes with a chart to determine correct level but can not be left in the vehicle.
That having been said, has the fluid & filter been changed? 60,000 mile change interval you would be due for a second change.
If the drive axles are OK maybe an fluid and filter change would help. Be sure to use ATF + 4 ONLY. A little pricy but must use ATF + 4 ( best price Walmart)

Old 05-01-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by FIREM
My 08 does not have a 'dipstick" for the trans but does have a capped tube. An Aftermarket "temporary" dipstick is available. It comes with a chart to determine correct level but can not be left in the vehicle.
That having been said, has the fluid & filter been changed? 60,000 mile change interval you would be due for a second change.
If the drive axles are OK maybe an fluid and filter change would help. Be sure to use ATF + 4 ONLY. A little pricy but must use ATF + 4 ( best price Walmart)
I agree totally with your posting. But was just trying to get a basic starting point to finding the trouble point in mine. I could have conjectured a number of possibilities and some would support a trashed trans., but why overwhelm with that when any real info from the OP is lacking for solid advice as to why the car will now not move at all under it's own steam?
BUT I will suggest that the OP re check the shift cable connection to the shift selector shaft on the transmission to make sure the flimsy socket connector is indeed attached and not "popped off" with the selector placed in the trans(not interior shift lever) position. This is a COMMON problem for ALL the 200/Avenger models.