Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Programming 3rd Transponder key

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Default Programming 3rd Transponder key

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible. I have two working transponder keys. I bought a 'blank' transponder key on eBay ($17). I am having trouble with the sequence required to program the 3rd new key.
I am following the instructions in the 2004 manual, and have found other very similar programming sequences on the net. I think the main problem is getting the car into 'Programming Mode'.

On page 10 in the manual there is a section on 'Customer Key Programming'. It states (and I quote):

//-----------------------------------------------
"Customer key Programming
You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid keys by doing the following:

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition and turn the ignition On for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds.

2. Insert the second valid key and switch the ignition On within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chime will sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash.

Turn the igniton Off and remove the second key.

3. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition and switch the ignition On within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.

The new Sentry Key has been programmed. Repeat this process to program up to a total of 8 keys."
//-------------------------------------------------

I think the problem is in Steps 1 and 2. In Step 2, I always get a double chime rather than a single chime, but the Theft light flashes continuously.
I've tried many different timing sequences and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone had trouble programming a new key? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

ShutEyeThinkin

Old 09-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I say its the key u got

Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Default Other possibilities

It could be that a previous owner(s) already programmed the maximum number of keys (8) and you can't program any more keys. This is more likely if your car was once in a rental fleet. Another possibility is that you are holding the keys too close together when programming. They can confuse each other if they are too close together.