Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring '02 heater blower not working at any speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Default Sebring '02 heater blower not working at any speed

Hi, Sebring '02, convertible back again with another problem. Heater/AC blower stopped working all together. Blower speed select switch does not work at any speed. 30 amp blower fuse good. Blower resister failed a few years ago, but would work on high (4) back then. Problem this time is no blower speed functions at all. Lights on control head work, rear defroster light works. Removed control head and sprayed contact cleaner on speed switch areas that were visible, but no improvement. Any idea what maybe causing this? Is there something else in the blower speed circuit that could cause this problem?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM

Could be a bad blower motor. Try energizing it directly.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Default Heater blower

Thanks for quick reply. Do you have a wiring diagram for blower circuit so I can try your idea?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM

You dont need wiring for such a simple thing. Easiest way - take the blower motor out. It should be located behind the gloves compartment. Take a look from below and you'll find how to take it out. I dont remember if you can access the blower from below, so the hard way -heres the front panel exploded:

First you take out part 22, the gloves compartment door. If I remember correctly it has two pins which should be bent inside so the door goes all the way down and slides of the rear hinge. Pin is located near the 24 part, on the corner. Same on the other side. As you take out the door then its just a couple of screws and you'll have access. If you can see the bottom of blower - unscrew 3 bolts (part 23 below), and the motor (part 20) fill fall out. Not just apply +12V to the socket (disconnect it of-course, and put he motor somewhere). Typically brown wire is minus and the other is plus. Hold it tight, because it might be good and rotate fast.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 PM

The above diagram is of the coupe. The coupe is built by Mitsubishi and is entirely different from the convertible/sedan. The coupe has almost no parts in common with the convertible/sedan models.
In the convertible/sedan, there are two wires running to the blower motor, dark green and black. If you can connect the black wire to ground, the blower should come on with the key turned to "run". This will bypass the control panel, the body computer and the resistor block.
You can get to the blower motor by removing the silencer panel under the dash at the passenger footwell, then removing the kick panel and folding the carpet down. Three screws hold it in the housing.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 AM

Oops sorry, my mistake. Somehow I thought its coupe ...

Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 AM

DCOTTER, thanks for info. I'll give it a try in the next day or two and let you know results. Dennis, no problem.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Thumbs up Sebring '02 heater blower not working on any speed

Ok, problem solved. He's what I found. Grounded black wire on blower connector with key in "run" and it spun up with no problem, so blower is good. Thanks dcotter for tip. Tracing wires back from blower, I grounded wires on the resistor block connect, key in "run", one at a time with high tech jumper wire (paper clip), no blower function on any wire except the wire going directly to blower motor. Since this bypassed fan speed control head, I assumed the only thing left in the circuit was the resister block. Pulled resister block out and measured each terminal with ohm meter. No continuity between blower motor terminal and any other terminal. So things were pointing towards it being the resistor block. Picked up a unit at local parts house that offered lifetime warranty on part made by BWD (non OEM). Plugged it in with block hanging out of blower for just a few seconds and blower worked on all speeds. Next, per instructions with new block, I had to cut the blower housing a bit to accommodate new block. Buttoned up everything and it works fine. One note, In reading about resistor block problems and having had one fail a few years ago, they all centered on losing speeds 1,2,3 and 4 working. Same as my earlier failure. I've now learned from latest failure that position 4 (High) is also effected by resister block and is not a true hard bypass. Just wanted to share that with everyone in case someone else has this problem. Thanks for everyone’s help, it's greatly appreciated. Great website with great contributors.