Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Sebring P0017

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Exclamation Sebring P0017

Hello Everyone!

I have a 2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L (Tigershark) I4 130K miles. I have been having some problems with.
I got the code P0017 a while ago and have attempted to fix it.
I have replaced both CAM sensors, crank shaft sensor, spark plugs, serp belt, input speed sensor, output speed sensor, changed the oil several times, checked the VVT solenoids and cleaned them (to be sure), checked all fuses and relays, replaced alternator (not related to this problem). Used a scope to look inside the cylinders to check for excessive wear (none that is apparent), replaced fuel filter as it needed to be changed.

I used a stethoscope to listen to the engine while it is running to hear if anything is wrong with the timing chain (have not checked the actual chain). Nothing sounds out of the ordinary.

I clear the code and it eventually just comes back (within a day or so). When MIL is illuminated the engine will not go above 4k RPM. When I clear the code and MIL is off it will go above 4k RPM. When the engine is in retard mode, you can go full throttle but will stop at 4k RPM and will not allow the trans to shift to the next gear. The trans usually will shift with full throttle at about 5k RPM. Regular driving without using full throttle has been fine. Fuel economy has been fine/the same since I got it and the MIL was not on.

Any advice?

Old 09-02-2016, 02:09 PM

Check the crankshaft position sensor wiring. Make sure there is no short anywhere and that the connectors are all good, clean and functional.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 AM
Default Sebring P0017

Originally Posted by conquercomputers
Hello Everyone!

I have a 2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L (Tigershark) I4 130K miles. I have been having some problems with.
I got the code P0017 a while ago and have attempted to fix it.
I have replaced both CAM sensors, crank shaft sensor, spark plugs, serp belt, input speed sensor, output speed sensor, changed the oil several times, checked the VVT solenoids and cleaned them (to be sure), checked all fuses and relays, replaced alternator (not related to this problem). Used a scope to look inside the cylinders to check for excessive wear (none that is apparent), replaced fuel filter as it needed to be changed.

I used a stethoscope to listen to the engine while it is running to hear if anything is wrong with the timing chain (have not checked the actual chain). Nothing sounds out of the ordinary.

I clear the code and it eventually just comes back (within a day or so). When MIL is illuminated the engine will not go above 4k RPM. When I clear the code and MIL is off it will go above 4k RPM. When the engine is in retard mode, you can go full throttle but will stop at 4k RPM and will not allow the trans to shift to the next gear. The trans usually will shift with full throttle at about 5k RPM. Regular driving without using full throttle has been fine. Fuel economy has been fine/the same since I got it and the MIL was not on.

Any advice?
@conquercomputers I know this post is older, but I have the exact same thing happening to my Chrysler Sebring 2010. Did you ever figure out what the cause was for the P0017?

thanks