Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Default shifting issue

Having trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd when I first start car, after it warms up its alot easier. Also when i shut car off if i shift from like neutral to 2nd sometimes it goes in really easy and sometime i cant get it in and have to press the clutch (this is when i shut car off like when parking) any odeas?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:37 PM

When's the last time you changed the fluid in there?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 PM

i had the slave cylinder replaced in oct,....do they usually change the fluid when garages do that??? I also read could be the cellonoid pack?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 PM

The slave cylinder is for the clutch only. When you press the clutch in, you press on a lever attached to a master cylinder that pushes fluid through a tube which in turn causes the slave cylinder to move and activate the clutch. It works just like the brakes on the wheels of the car. The fluid in there is not connected in any way to the transmission. They would not have changed the trans fluid when repairing the slave cylinder without a separate charge on the bill.

The solenoid pack is a part of an automatic transmission, not a stick shift.

Check your owners manual for the proper service interval for the transmission fluid. In an automatic transmission it's about 60,000 miles or less. I'm not sure what it is for a stick shift but it could be due for a change and might be affecting the quality of your shifts. It could also be a blown synchronizer which would be a much more expensive repair.

BTW, you should ALWAYS put in the clutch when changing gears whether the engine is running or not. If you try to change gears when parked and with the engine not moving, you have both ends of the driveline stopped and unmoving so unless the gears are by chance perfectly aligned, they are not going to mesh properly. Putting in the clutch disconnects the engine and allows some movement in the driveline.