Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Stalling/ no spark/ no start issues 95 to 2000 sebrings

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Default Stalling/ no spark/ no start issues 95 to 2000 sebrings

my car used to run and get hot and then under any load in drive or reverse the car would stall, sometimes start right back up, sometimes not start back up until the cooled down. i did a bunch of reading and diagnostics and i found after trying to replace the crank shaft position sensor (ckp) and the cam shaft sensor (csp) (which is serviceable under the rotor in the distributor but supposedly nobody sells it) and it turned out it was the coils in the distributor. i took out the cam shaft sensor under the rotor in the junk yard one and put it in the currently installed distributor and nothing, then took it back out and put it in the junk yard one and installed the whole unit and it cranked right up. drove it for about 20 minutes and let it idle for about 20 and no cut off problems or anything. the distributor came out of a 98 cirrus and was the last in the entire junk yard of about 10 2.5 v6 engines which i luckily stumbled upon. i searched every single car that possibly had the 2.5 v6 engine and they were all gone. so it was a good option for 36$ instead of 120 refurbed one at autozone and they state at the junk yard (lkq pick and pull) that there is a 30 day guarantee so if it didnt work i would probably go return it and buy a new one. but if anyone else is having similar stall issues check out the crank shaft sensor, if that doesnt fix it then return it and keep moving, check if the fuel pump runs for the 2 seconds when the key is turned, if thats good then check the distributor and also the automatic shutdown relay (asd relay in the middle of the 3 on the driver side of relays) and also there is a capacitor on top of the distributor, check that with a multimeter (one black and red wire stick the positive in the wire and ground to the shell of the capacitor) and if the ohms goes up from zero to infinity then its good if nothing then its bad which can tell the computer not to send spark from the distributor. just check for fuel by spraying starting fluid in the intake and see if it might start (i read if the fuel pump isnt sending a reading to the computer the asd relay wont send spark) so that could work and also could not work but pretty much the fundamentals to an engine are fuel and spark and if thats not happening then start looking as to why. i googled for days and learned a bunch of troubleshooting techniques so hopefully this can help someone in need of the stalling issue/ no start problems so hopefully people will look here and ask questions before doing hours of reading like myself and the experts can chime in here and there but thanks for reading and feel free to ask questions, but please read some before asking stupid questions. thanks