Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Start of Sebring Nightmare Need Help

Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Default Start of Sebring Nightmare Need Help

OK, to start I'm to the forums, to Chrysler/Dodge ownership, and definitely new to the whole 2.7l debacle and need some guidance from the knowledgable...

I bought a 2004 Chrysler Sebring LXi convertible today. Car was bought at impound auction and won't start. Was also littered with stop leak and antifreeze bottles which is like a roadmap to a mess. Questions:

1. Had to have locksmith make key, w/chip, for car. Power comes on but not stereo, guages, etc... No turn over, nada. How do I rule out/correct an engine kill issue? Note vehicle also has remote start added. This is going to be fun....

2. Let's assume we get past the above and the engine is dead. Pretty clear that the 2.7l is a nightmare. I understand can swap out 3.2/3.5 engine but trying to figure out which yr/motor/vehicle for donor. In researching possible engines I've figured out there are at least three possible combinations for the 2.7 (current generation, next generation w/leak detection port, next gen w/o leak detection port). Does any of this matter if I'm going with a 3.2/3.5 swap? If so, how do I tell which I need? If I can get an answer on that which yrs/cars should I identify as donors?

I realize this is a bunch from some new guy on the board but I really want to make this right. I have some help available to swap out the engine but need to find the right way to make it happen. I've read several of the other similar threads.

Thanks All!

Zoom

Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 PM

I understand can swap out 3.2/3.5 engine but trying to figure out which yr/motor/vehicle for donor
Absolutely not..................

Two totally different animals

Starting at the fusebox.....Find the lost Ignition switch feed.An "Alarm" is not designed to carry enough current to stop "KEY-ON" components from powering up...So you can pretty much rule that out....

A locksmith cut a key for you.....Has it been Programmed to the car???

Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Absolutely not..................

Two totally different animals

Starting at the fusebox.....Find the lost Ignition switch feed.An "Alarm" is not designed to carry enough current to stop "KEY-ON" components from powering up...So you can pretty much rule that out....

A locksmith cut a key for you.....Has it been Programmed to the car???
On the motor folks all over the Dodge forum and other areas swapping out the 3.5/3.2 for the 2.7. Other than some minor tweaks (ie starter and ac lines) looks pretty plug and play if you get the right years. But we get ahead of ourselves...

Had an alarm guy swing by the house and for $25 he pulled the remote system out and now we have radio, guages, and roof working. Turn key and get starter clunk MOST of time. Twice I had the motor turn over and try to catch. Thinking that maybe this is a good thing... Possibly replace starter. Any other thoughts and what is pulling the starter like on this?

Thanks for the help.

Zoom