Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Transmission binding engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Default Transmission binding engine

Hi All,
For sometime I have been trying to get my son's 2002 Sebring convertible 2.7 fixed. The old transmission got a hole in the case. I purchased a used one from, I think a stratus or similar, from a reputable salvage yard. Everything looks right. However, when I install it, the tranny won't bolt together to the engine all the way. There is a gap between them of about 1/4". When I bolt them together the flywheel ends up jammed up to the 2 oil pan bolts and the engine won't turn. I thought that maybe the torque converter was not seated in the tranny. Redid it and it was better, but still same problem. I have been working on most of my weekends for about 2 months and cannot get it right. Any ideas/help will really be appreciated. Thank you, George

Old 03-16-2016, 12:30 PM

Do you know what year the new transmission is from. The design was slightly changed in 2003 so you may have trouble putting a later transmissiion in a 2002.

John

Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 PM

I believe it was from a 2001 or 2002 because I remember that the '01 and '02 were the same.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:23 PM

If you still have the old transmission insert the torque converter and measure from the end of the converter to the end of the bell housing. Do the same on the new transmission. If it's jamming then there must be a difference in the measurements.

John

Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Default transmission binding

I have been told that I probably do not have the torque converter lugged in all the way. Also been told it lugs in 3 times. I even took the old tranny and stood it on the bottom and reinserted the converter. It only lugged in twice and left a clearance from the welded on bolt threads of converter (where the bolts from the flywheel screw in) to the front of the case (where bolts tranny to engine) of about 1/4" r maybe a little less. Does not seem like enough clearance. Is it. Thanks again, George

Old 04-24-2016, 10:00 AM

Measure from the engine block where the transmission mounts to the flexplate. If it's not the same measurement as from the converter to the end of the transmission then the converter isn't in far enough or you need a different converter for the transmission you bought. If the transmissions are identical those are the only possibilities I can think of.

John

Old 04-25-2016, 12:15 AM
Default transmission binding engine

IT IS FIXED! Yeah! Thank you John for all of your help. The torque converter was NOT lugged in all the way. It has to lug in 3 times. The second lug sounds like it is seating againt metal, but you have to gently jiggle and turn and it goes in considerably more. The tranny mounted right up to the engine nad everything fit as it should. A few more hours work over the next day or so and I should have it completely back together and running. Again, thank you so much for all of your help! George

Old 04-25-2016, 08:29 AM

You're welcome. Glad I could be of some assistance.

John

Old 04-30-2016, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by george3405
IT IS FIXED! Yeah! Thank you John for all of your help. The torque converter was NOT lugged in all the way. It has to lug in 3 times. The second lug sounds like it is seating againt metal, but you have to gently jiggle and turn and it goes in considerably more. The tranny mounted right up to the engine nad everything fit as it should. A few more hours work over the next day or so and I should have it completely back together and running. Again, thank you so much for all of your help! George
I'm so glad you managed to fix it. On the other hand, this guy definitely won't be able to fix his truck's transmission
BYE BYE TRANSMISSION: Running A 1999 Ram 1500 Through The Mud Out Behind The Barn! Transmission Had 200,000+ Miles But IT DROVE OUT ALL ON ITS OWN!!! - NO Car NO Fun! Muscle Cars and Power Cars! |

Old 05-02-2016, 07:41 AM
Default now I have a buzzing

I added 4 quarts transmission fluid and, while front end was up on jack stands, started the engine. There was a loud buzzing vibration from the front of the transmission. I added a fifth quart, but no change. I did not add fluid to the empty torque converter before installing the transmission. In hind site I wish I had. Will the torque converter fill on its own? After almost 6 months the engine started immediately and ran great. I did notice the oil sending unit was leaking on the back of the engine. Pulling the right cv axle on the right really helped to get at it as well as the 3 bolts that hold the cover shield. Just need to get rid of the buzzing. As always any insight is greatly appreciated. George

Quick Reply: Transmission binding engine