Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Transmission leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Default Transmission leaking

Good day all. I am inheriting a 2005 sebring LXI touring model with a 2.7 v6. i am not sure what the problem is but I will try to give it a try. This thing has a transmission leak coming from the top of the tranny. It has been sitting for 2 years with no maintenance at all. When running there is no leak, but when you put it in gear it leaks. I have not seen this car but will this evening. Anyone please help so I can get this thing on the road as I have a pt cruiser with no heater core. Thank you for any assistance.

I am going to try the transmission filter first to see if that could be the problem.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM

The solenoid pack is a common source of leaks. Can't say it's your problem, but it might be. Search the forum here for more info. It's an easy DIY repair.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
The solenoid pack is a common source of leaks. Can't say it's your problem, but it might be. Search the forum here for more info. It's an easy DIY repair.

Thank you for the advice on that. I did go through it and found the outggoing transmission line was loose on the coupling and was leaking out of it.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM

I'm having the same problem on my 2001 Sebring, I have taken the pan down and resealed it three times before finally hearing something about the solenoid pack, which makes since due to there being fluid on top of the transmission. I was at the dealer yesterday and the guy at the parts counter sold me a gasket and said to clean it up really good and try to put transmission fluid resistant RTV around the seams where the plastic and metal parts mate since there isn't much pressure there, has anyone tried this and if so did it work? I just got done replacing all 24 last adjusters and the timing chain/water pump/oil pump. All that is left to work on right now is my heater only blowing warm air (my question was posted in another thread) and this transmission leak.

Thanks ahead of time!

Dave

Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM

I wouldn't put RTV on the solenoid gasket. The problem is that the solenoid gasket (unlike the pan gasket) is oriented such that the sealant can be squeezed out and will fall down into the transmission. From there it can get into lots of trouble. If RTV falls into the pan it must go through the filter before it goes anywhere else. The solenoid pack comes with a new gasket. I have bought them on the internet for less than $50. Replacing the solenoid pack is a known cure for that leak. As long as you're in there, replace the lines to the transmission cooler as well. With the headlight removed, it's an easy fix.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 PM

dcotter, thanks for the info, I don't think I was clear on where he suggested putting the RTV. He said not to use any on the gasket like you did, but he said to just spread it around the housing where the bakalite plastic body and the aluminum body meet. I'll do an internet search for one, if I can find a new one for $50-60 it's worth it to simply replace it. The dealership wants $240 for one that's why I was going to try the RTV and new gasket first.

Dave