Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Transmission replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Default Transmission replacement?

I recently got a 2002 Sebring sedan with a 2.4 and I'm pretty sure the trans is shot. I put it in drive or reverse or any any gear for that matter and it just revs but won't engage. I'm considering a replacement and was wondering if anyone had attempted this and could shed a little light on what's involved? I've heard the whole engine has to come out, dropping the entire subframe out to remove transmission.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:22 PM

Before you tear the whole car apart, check for all the simple things that could cause the problem. Check the shift linkage carefully and make sure nothing is disconnected or broken. Check all the electrical connections and wiring to the transmission and make sure nothing is broken, shorted or disconnected. The transmission is controlled by the transmission control module (computer). Make sure that is present and functional.
Make sure the trans has the proper level and grade of transmission fluid.
As far as removal of the transmission is concerned, invest a few bucks in a shop manual (like a Haynes) and read through the information in there. See what's involved and then you can decide whether you and your toolbox are up to the task.
If you are in over your head, it's better to figure out that early. Since you have nothing invested in the car at this point, it could still be worthwhile to get some professional help in the form of a good transmission shop. They could conceivably find out that it's an inexpensive repair and could get you back on the road for a lot less than replacing the whole transmission. At this point you can't assume the worst and start with the most expensive repair. With the proper diagnostic equipment, it may be possible to attach the correct code reader to the car and find out exactly what is wrong.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:05 PM

I'm pretty good with cars. First thing I did was check all the connections and they look tight, it isn't throwing any codes either. So I bought a control solenoid, both speed sensors and a filter and gasket. Replaced the solenoid and sensors and then upon draining the trans I discovered a lot of metal flakes ranging in size from a tic tac to pieces as big as a quarter. Generally with as much metal as I found it means the trans is junk