Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Why won't my sebring gtc start???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:05 PM
TLT
Smile Why won't my sebring gtc start???

I own a 2004 Chrysler Sebring GTC. 6 cylinder 2.7 liter R rated engine. My Chrysler Sebring will still not start.
I have replace the ECM PCM and the battery. My car still will not start after extensive work being done to the engine. But the only code I keep getting is p1864. It will not give any other codes but my car still will not start. It will crank but it will not turn over. No signal post for the injectors, no signal pulse for the coils, no signal post for the crank or camshaft sensors. But good continuity on all wires & grounds. All grounds are good. All the fuses in modules have been checked and are good. The ASD relay is good.
What could possibly be the problem? If my car is not turning over, why am I not getting any more codes? Why is my car not turning over?

Old 05-20-2017, 04:14 PM

When you replaced the PCM did you have it programmed for the VIN and mileage of your vehicle? You cannot simply install a new or used module in your car and expect it to work. It must be programmed for the vehicle.
When the car will not start but no codes are generated, it's time to suspect a fuel problem. Make sure you have adequate fuel pressure.
The coils do not get a pulse in the signal. The "pulse" is on the ground side. When the magnetic field in the coil collapses, it induces a voltage in the secondary side of the coil to make the spark.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:15 PM
TLT

Thank you for your response to my friend. Yes the ECM PCM did come program to my car's VIN number and mileage. The fuel pump was checked in I was told it was good. I'm not getting any spark on the coils, the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:19 PM
TLT

Thank you for your response to my post. Yes the ECM PCM did come programed to my car's VIN number and mileage. The fuel pump was checked and I was told it was good. I'm not getting any spark on the coils, the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor.
Any ideas why?

Old 05-21-2017, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

"My car still will not start after extensive work being done to the engine"

What exactly did you do to the engine?

Old 05-21-2017, 12:07 PM
TLT

What exactly did you do to the engine?[/QUOTE]

I had the engine torn down and cleaned out and oil sludge cleaned out, replaced gaskets and Rings, new crank shaft, new rods, new oil pump, new cam sensor and crank sensor, new coils, new boots and new spark plugs, new water pump, new timing chain, replace the oil filter and air filter, and some other things I can't remember. In the prior year I had replaced the ECM PCM and repaired the AC system. Basically my engine was almost completely rebuilt.
What started all this was I was driving and my car turned off on me while I was driving. I was told the fuel pump with functioning and it was getting gas , but that the oil pump was bad and needed to be replaced comment that although there was oil in my car it will have not been getting through to the rods. Then I had all this work done because the crankshaft and a couple rods had gotten bent from lack of oil not getting through to them because oil pump went out. That was the reason I was given that my car turned off on me while I was driving.
all the electrical wires and grounds have been checked and are still good. Although the wiring harness could use replacing everything is still good and the wires all still have conductivity. So I am wondering if the ECM PCM needs to be reflashed? Or is there another problem going on? Everyone is out of love no one can seem to find a reason why my car will not start. It turns over but it will not turn on.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:12 PM
TLT

What exactly did you do to the engine?[/QUOTE]

I am not getting a signal to my crankshaft position sensor, cam sensor, or the injectors. Please read my above posts / other replies.

I had the engine torn down and cleaned out and oil sludge cleaned out, replaced gaskets and Rings, new crank shaft, new rods, new oil pump, new cam sensor and crank sensor, new coils, new boots and new spark plugs, new water pump, new timing chain, replace the oil filter and air filter, and some other things I can't remember. In the prior year I had replaced the ECM PCM and repaired the AC system. Basically my engine was almost completely rebuilt.
What started all this was I was driving and my car turned off on me while I was driving. I was told the fuel pump with functioning and it was getting gas , but that the oil pump was bad and needed to be replaced comment that although there was oil in my car it will have not been getting through to the rods. Then I had all this work done because the crankshaft and a couple rods had gotten bent from lack of oil not getting through to them because oil pump went out. That was the reason I was given that my car turned off on me while I was driving.
all the electrical wires and grounds have been checked and are still good. Although the wiring harness could use replacing everything is still good and the wires all still have conductivity. So I am wondering if the ECM PCM needs to be reflashed? Or is there another problem going on? Everyone is out of love no one can seem to find a reason why my car will not start. It turns over but it will not turn on.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:16 PM
TLT

I am not getting a signal to my crankshaft position sensor, cam sensor, the coils, or the injectors. All the grounds have been checked and are good. All wired up and checked and have good continuity. Everyone is stumped. What could possibly be causing my car not to start. It does not have an alarm system period And I do not believe it takes a chipped key, but I have the original keys . Please read my above posts & other replies.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:22 PM
TLT

There is no signal to the crankshaft position sensor, cam sensor, the coils, or the injectors. All the grounds have been checked and are good. All wires were checked and have good continuity.
Everyone is stumped. What could possibly be causing my car not to start??? It does not have an alarm system, and I do not believe it takes a chipped key, but I have the original keys that came with the car when I bought it in 2007 and these kids have always worked with the car before. Please read my above posts & other replies. If it is the ECM PCM again, why does disconnecting the battery and the electrical system from the car blow the ECM PCM?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:52 AM

If I remember correctly, it was in the middle of the 2004 model year that Chrysler re-designed the ignition system for the 2.7L engine and revised the computer controlling the system. Chrysler Tech would know the details. It's possible that your vehicle now has some components from both before and after the revision with all that work and since the components are not compatible, they won't work together.

Quick Reply: Why won't my sebring gtc start???